Courses / Curriculum
Associate of Arts Degree Requirements (63 hours total)
Prerequisite Course (one course) - 3 hours
- INTR 1320 American Sign Language I
UALR Core Curriculum for Associate Degrees - 15 hours
See the UALR Undergraduate Catalog for details.
Sign Language Studies - 15 hours consisting of:
- INTR 1321 American Sign Language II
- INTR 2320 American Sign Language III
- INTR 2321 American Sign Language IV
- INTR 2330 Manually Coded English in Educational Settings
- INTR 3330 Fingerspelling
Foundation Courses - 9 hours consisting of:
- INTR 2342 Introduction to Interpreting
- INTR 3344 Interpretation Theory and Process
- INTR 4340 Deaf Culture
Interpreting Courses - 18 hours consisting of:
- INTR 2360 Oral Interpreting
- INTR 3358 Interpreting for Persons who are Deaf-Blind
- INTR 3360 Interpreting Contextually Bound English Lexicon
- INTR 3362 Interpreting in Specialized Settings *
- INTR 3364 Sign to Voice Interpreting/Transliterating *
- INTR 3366 Voice to Sign Interpreting/Transliterating *
* Intermediate Level on the SCPI prerequisite to INTR 3362, 3364, & 3366.
Practicum Course (one course) - 3 hours
- INTR 2370 Practicum *
* Ranking of “C” or better in INTR 2320 as prerequisite to INTR 2370.
Elective Course (one course) - 3 hours consisting of any university course.
The following three courses are options For those interpreting majors who are not minoring in Educational Interpreting, but desire to choose an elective from the Interpreting courses:
- INTR 3346 Principles of Educational Interpreting (Prerequisite: INTR 2340)
- INTR 3350 Artistic Interpreting in Educational Settings (Prerequisite: INTR 1321)
- INTR 4384 Interpreting Academic Subjects (Prerequisites: INTR 3364, 3366)