Arkansas AIMS: Encouraging Rigor, Rewarding Excellence
The goals of Arkansas Advanced Initiative for Math and Science, Inc. are both ambitious and achievable. They are intended to bring to life a viable statewide initiative for increasing the mathematics and science pipeline from middle school through college admission and retention.
The guiding purpose of Arkansas Advanced Initiative for Math and Science, Inc. is (1) To improve mathematics and science education in Arkansas, and (2) to increase college retention/graduation rates in STEM disciplines.
The goals are:
- To increase enrollments, including the traditionally undeserved students, in AP mathematics, science, and English courses in allĀ AR AIMS, Inc. schools.
- To increase the numbers of AP mathematics, science, and English test scores of 3, 4, and 5 in AR AIMSĀ schools.
- To provide sustained professional development and targeted graduate level teacher preparation for Pre-AP and AP mathematics, science, and English teachers in AR AIMSĀ schools.
- To build a cadre of AP teacher-leader content specialists in mathematics, science and English statewide.
- To track students from AR AIMSĀ schools from middle school (gain schools) and high school (launch schools) through college admission, retention and graduation milestones.
- To institutionalize the AR AIMSĀ organization at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
To support the goals of AR AIMS, we will strengthen the prevalence of and successful participation in Advanced Placement math, science, and English in high schools in Arkansas. Through both intensive teacher training and student assistance preparation, our performance data clearly demonstrates that the numbers of students enrolled in and receiving qualifying scores in these areas in AR AIMS schools have dramatically increased.
The structure of AR AIMS, Inc. replicates APS, Inc. in Texas an established a not-for-profit entity, identifies the University of Arkansas at Little Rock as the primary supporting partner, and includes the collaboration of the Arkansas Department of Education, and the office of the Governor of the State of Arkansas. AR AIMS, Inc. is lead by a president and includes a Program Manager, an administrative assistant, AP content specialists in Mathematics, Science, and English, a dedicated College Advisor and a liaison instructor with Arkansas Advanced Placement Professional Development Center at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.