Goals and Objectives
The goals of Arkansas Advanced Initiative for Math and Science, Inc. are both ambitious and achievable. They are intended to bring to life a viable statewide initiative for increasing the mathematics and science pipeline from middle school through college admission and retention.
The guiding purpose of Arkansas Advanced Initiative for Math and Science, Inc. is (1) To improve mathematics and science education in Arkansas, and (2) to increase college retention/graduation rates in STEM disciplines.
The goals are:
- To increase enrollments, including low-income students, in AP mathematics, science and English courses in 10 AAIMS, Inc. school
- To increase the numbers of AP mathematics, science, and English test scores of 3, 4, and 5 in AAIMS schools by 25% annually.
- To provide sustained professional development and targeted graduate level teacher preparation for Pre-AP and AP mathematics, science and English teachers in AAIMS schools.
- To build a cadre of AP teacher-leader content specialists in mathematics, science and English statewide.
- To track students from AAIMS schools from middle school (gain schools) and high school (launch schools) through college admission, retention and graduation milestones.
- To institutionalize the AAIMS organization at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
The structure of AAIMS, Inc. replicates APS, Inc. in Texas an established a not-for-profit entity, identifies the University of Arkansas at Little Rock as the primary supporting partner, and includes the collaboration of the Arkansas Department of Education, and the office of the Governor of the State of Arkansas. AAIMS, Inc. is lead by a president and includes a financial officer, an administrative assistant, AP content specialists in Mathematics, Science, and English, a dedicated College Advisor and a liaison instructor with Arkansas Advanced Placement Professional Development Center at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.