History and Mission
As Arkansas’s premier metropolitan university, UALR is committed to responding to the needs of the community by creating active links between the campus, community, and commerce. UALR serves a different kind of student – about half are balancing families, careers, and school. The University is also able to put its students in close contact with the state’s most influential leaders in government, business, industry, medicine, and information technology because of its location in Arkansas’s capital city.
- At 82 years old, UALR is still a vibrant and influential place in Arkansas' capital city.
- Important Milestones
- John Larson urged that the Little Rock Junior College be founded in 1927. Since that time, the University has grown.
- Mission, Role and Scope
- Students, faculty, and staff work to achieve the missions of both the University and the University of Arkansas System.
- A Metropolitan University
- As a metropolitan university, UALR must not only educate students, but also to teach them to be effective citizens and capable in their chosen professions.