November 2009

Dear Colleagues:

I write to share with you my report to the Faculty Senate in its meeting on Friday, November 20, 2009.

I devoted the report to an update on the issue which has arguably demanded more of the institutionā€™s attention than any other this year ā€“ accreditation. Indeed, as I have been noting for a year or so, this is the Year of Accreditation. By commencement in May, UALR will have experienced nine site visits this academic year; six have already occurred this fall semester.

The accreditation process is very important for a number of reasons; however, the most important aspect of the process is the external nature of the review which offers both affirmation and objective guidance, both of which are very important to any institution which values quality, excellence, and progress.

UALR has hosted four department-based accreditation site visits this fall: Nursing and Construction Management in September, and Audiology and Speech Pathology and Systems Engineering earlier in November. All four of these site visits have gone well, and the initial feedback from the visiting teams provided both affirmation and guidance for the programsā€™ future development.

Read more>>

The Year of Accreditation is not yet behind us. There are three more site visits in the spring semester ā€“ in theatre, law, and art. I am confident that their results will be similar to those from the six we have experienced this fall.

Have a good Thanksgiving weekend.

David Belcher
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

Posted in: News