May 2010

Please see my remarks to the Faculty Senate on Friday, May 7, 2010.

Faculty Roles and Rewards II

I voice my support for the Faculty Roles and Rewards II document (FRRII). Full-time, non-tenure track employees serve important functions at our university, and I think it important to acknowledge them formally and tangibly when appropriate.

It is also important to note that the FRRII document underscores that departments retain authority in decision-making related to the issues spelled out in the document.

Strategic Plan Revision Process

I have recently sent faculty two requests for input in the strategic plan revision process, and I reiterate here those requests.

1. I seek your assistance in identifying goals, objectives, strategies, and pledges from the current, long-range plan, UALR: Fast Forward, which you believe should be retained in the updated draft to be developed over the next 6 months. The link below will take you to a website listing all goals, objectives, strategies, and pledges. Please send your thoughts on which of the goals, objectives, strategies, and pledges should be retained via email to Kathy Oliverio: kmoliverio@ualr.edu. Please be sure to identify the goal, objective, strategy, or pledge clearly (for example: Goal 2, Objective 3, Strategy 4 or Pledge 6). We would appreciate any rationale for your choices that you wish to share. Website: http://ualr.edu/about/strategicplan/update/.
  2. I seek your thoughts on UALR’s development over the next few years. Specifically, what should UALR be in 5-7 years and what specific steps (goals, objectives, strategies) will get us there? Please submit any thoughts you wish to share to Kathy Oliverio at kmoliverio@ualr.edu, and include in the email subject line the words UALR Strategic Plan/Vision to help us in cataloguing the responses.

I recognize that this is a very busy time of the academic year. There is no deadline for submission of ideas, and thus I hope you will feel free to turn to these requests after finals and commencement are completed. I will also reiterate this request for input several times during the summer. I hope to have early thoughts and feedback compiled for reactions by the time school begins.

End of the Year

For reasons we have discussed in detail before, this has been a challenging year. But it has also been a good year filled with many accomplishments, and I thank the faculty for their efforts in making it so.

I am also grateful to Richard Ford who has served as President of the Faculty Senate for the last four years. He has been a great partner and colleague and a worthy advocate for the faculty. It has been my pleasure to work with him.

Have a great summer!

Sincerely yours,
David O. Belcher
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

Posted in: News