The University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR) announces the national search for founding Dean of the College of Arts, Letters, and Sciences. The successful candidate will lead a newly formed college comprised of nationally recognized academic programs that are known for 21st century curricula, highly credentialed faculty, and a diverse, talented student body.
Candidate Qualifications and Experience
The Search Advisory Committee seeks an individual who has earned prominence in teaching, research, and/or scholarship, has substantial experience as an administrator â€“ preferably as a department chair or higher â€“ and is eligible for appointment as a tenured professor.
The successful candidate should have abundant energy, keen listening skills, and administrative strengths to include:
- Demonstrated success in building momentum for academic programs, leading community endeavors, and helping an institution achieve the next level of success;
- Commitment to fostering a culture of excellence and an understanding of the opportunities and challenges unique to a metropolitan research university;
- Strong support for teaching, research, and professional service;
- Demonstrated understanding of, passion for, and the ability to successfully advocate on behalf of the arts, humanities, and sciences;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external stakeholders and build effective relationships with agencies, institutions, and the community at large;
- Success in raising funds from private sources, including a proven ability to procure major gifts and increase alumni engagement;
- Knowledge of and experience with external funding agencies;
- Management and decision-making skills needed for success in a newly evolved, complex academic unit;
- Willingness to engage with, lead, and advocate for faculty from all disciplines in the college;
- Leadership style that will increase inter- and multidisciplinary collaboration within the college, across the campus, and with public-private sector entities.
Characteristics and Personal Values
The founding Dean of the College of Arts, Letters, and Sciences will be a team builder with an open, transparent decision-making and management style and personal qualities that include:
- Professional and personal integrity;
- Effective leadership in times of growth and change;
- Proven commitment to shared governance;
- Passion for fine arts, humanities, and sciences;
- Talent in and appreciation for innovation in community engagement.
Opportunities and Challenges
The Dean of the College of Arts, Letters and Science will have a career-defining opportunity to lead a large and complex academic unit with wide-ranging strengths.
Specific opportunities and challenges include:
Academic Excellence and Successful Student Outcomes
- Support the delivery of rigorous, high-quality instruction at both the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Develop policies and support systems that improve timely graduation rates and track the success of students as they move into their chosen fields;
- Promote general education curricula as the critical foundation of a university education.
Advocacy and Strategic Initiatives
- Develop strategies to foster and reward professional growth in faculty and staff;
- Demonstrate a commitment to building a diverse workforce through hiring, promoting, and retaining faculty and staff;
- Lead in developing and nurturing a climate of inclusiveness.
Research Support and Enhancement
- Support the development of innovative, multi-disciplinary research collaborations between departments as well as with other colleges and schools at UALR and with external partners;
- Encourage faculty, students and staff in community engagement initiatives and accompanying research opportunities.
Applications should include a detailed letter of interest describing relevant leadership, research, and teaching experience and interest in the position; curriculum vitae; names of five references with titles, addresses, and telephone numbers. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination, including name, position, address, telephone number, and email address of the nominee.
Materials should be electronically submitted via MS Word or pdf to UALRDeanALS@academic-search.com. The search is assisted by John B. Hicks, Senior Consultant Academic Search, Inc. John.firstname.lastname@example.org 205-345-7221
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. The person hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.