Entry 8

It was a different day.  I brought in my small 1′ square by 2″ pedestal with paper on top and two clay forms that resembled stones that I had picked from the two piles of two hundred feet long granite and marble.  Lou a college teacher and studio assistant manager asked me what my model was about.  I briefly explained it to her.  A moment later one of the committee members came by and inquired about what it was and she explained it to him.  It was rejected within a few moments.

Later after gathering my thoughts I asked for an audience with the full committee to explain the concept behind my working model.  I was told many reasons why they could not accept the work.  I respectfully disagreed and explained my position and requested an audience with the full committee to debate the merits of my idea.  After an hour of waiting I was allowed the opportunity to present my piece to two committee members.  I had decided that if they did not like my idea that I would let it go.  After presenting my ideas through an interpreter and Lou we agreed that the work should be all granite as their marble was not suitable.  In the past years the sculpture park has had numerous problems with cracks in many of their marble blocks.  They asked if I would like it to rest close to the grass and I thought this approach would be consistent with the idea.  They also said I would have one assistant who would carve the stone with me and later I would have two assistants available.  I was content with this new possibility for a second large composition in black granite and gray/green granite. In the next few days we should get started on this new quiet compositional piece titled “Conversation”

The next week will be focused primarily on finishing the clay work on “Visionary.”  Teams of mold makers will be at the studio soon to start making multi piece plaster molds of all the clay works.

This afternoon all the interpreters, the artists and the staff took two full large buses and two small 15-person vans to a tour of Moon Lake, which is about 20 miles away from Changchun.  At the top of the mountain we enjoyed the tremendous view and all took turns ringing a 2-meter tall cast bronze dragon bell.  At one time this bell was used to alert the farming communities that there was a forest fire.  After that we had a walk in the woods and went off to dinner at a remote countryside-dining hall.  Many of the artists and staff took turns entertaining us all.  Barry’s interpreter let out the secret that he was turning 50 on this day.  We sang or were sang to all the way back to the hotel.  Today was the Chinese Valentine day.

Posted in: Michael Warrick's Journal from China