Frequently Asked Questions

How do I declare an AHSS major or minor?

When you first attend UALR as a freshman or transfer student, you will be advised as an undeclared student in University College.

When you are ready to declare or change your major, visit the department that offers your intended major.  Make an appointment today at

How do I meet with a college advisor?

If you have declared a major in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, the College Dean’s Office will contact you with information concerning setting up an initial meeting with your major department. When you contact your new major department, you will be assigned an advisor who will help you select courses to meet graduation requirements in your chosen degree field and to meet your academic goals. Advising at UALR is mandatory. You cannot register for courses without seeing an advisor.

What is a Degree Plan and why do I need one?

Next to the
UALR Undergraduate Catalog
, a degree plan prepared and signed by your major department, minor department, dean, and yourself is absolutely essential for a successful academic career. A degree plan lists the course requirements that you need to take in order to earn a degree in your major, including core curriculum, major requirements, minor requirements, required tests, and any elective hours you will need to complete to graduation. In essence, your degree plan is a contract between the university and you that, once signed by all parties, guarantees you will graduate with a particular degree if you complete the requirements that it lists in conjunction with following the advice given you by your major department.

What if I have transfer courses or want to take courses elsewhere?

When you initially transfer courses to UALR, your transcript will be evaluated by the Office of Records and Registration so that you may receive credit hours for the courses you have transferred. However, this evaluation does not mean that the courses you transferred fulfill specific degree requirements at UALR. In order to receive credit that fulfills a specific requirement, you will need to meet with your advisor and file a Special Exception/ Course Substitution Form. Also, if you want to take a course at another university to transfer back to UALR to fulfill a specific requirement, you will need to fill out the Special Exception/ Course Substitution Form before you enroll at another university.

How do I file for graduation?

To be considered for degree conferral at UALR, you will need to file an Application for Graduation Form for the semester that you intend to fulfill all remaining degree requirements. This form can be found in the Student Request menu, accessible through the Student Services and Financial Aid menu in the secure area of your Boss account. While it is possible to participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony with fewer than seven hours remaining to complete in the Summer, you will not receive a degree until you have filed an Application for Graduation Form for the semester that you complete degree requirements. To apply for graduation, you will need to first consult with your major advisor.

What if I have more questions?

If you have further questions concerning majors/ minors, transfer credit, degree plans, graduation policies, course substitutions, academic clemency, grade appeals, etc. in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, you may contact your major department, or CAHSS Student Services at 501.569.3350.

We look forward to talking with you!