Patti Jo White, Ed.D., Appointed as Assistant Dean for Student Services for the College

Patti Jo White, Ed.D.Dr. White received her B.S. in Business Management from Harding University. She worked in a variety of commercial administrative positions, making her way into education and teaching roles while incrementally collecting degrees.

“After my business degree, I was looking at careers and trying to figure out what kind of advanced degree to get. I couldn’t see myself in a bank. I knew I wanted something that was people-oriented.” A friend recommended she apply for a Graduate Admissions Specialist position in the Graduate School at UA Little Rock. “Once on campus, I loved it. I loved the environment, and working with and helping students.”

Dr. White loved academia so much, she began studying for an M.S.W. in Social Work on a Management and Community Practice track. In 2000 she passed her licensure exam and went to work for Harding University, helping open their Professional Center in North Little Rock. After a couple years as Assistant to the Director, she moved to the Searcy campus as Information Assistant to the Registrar, helping to implement the Ellucian Banner software system, and eventually returned to the Professional Center in 2011 as Director and Assistant Professor of Education.

During that time, Dr. White studied at UA Little Rock for an Ed.D. in Higher Education with a concentration in Student Affairs Administration that she received in 2009. “I love being on this campus. Now that I am back, I have been looking forward to more volunteer opportunities and being able to participate actively in the campus community.”

As Assistant Dean for Student Services, Dr. White is responsible for administering, advising, and assisting with advising within CALS, serving as a liaison between faculty and the dean’s office on student issues, coordinating the efforts of student service staff, facilitating college orientations, recruitment and retention efforts, assisting students with academic complaints, reviewing and submitting CALS graduation applications, and assisting the associate dean and the dean of the college.

Dr. White is an important part of improving retention in CALS. She will be leading work with academically challenged students identified through the Early Alert system, before they are placed on academic probation. Faculty can contact Dr. White directly by phone at 501-569-3296, email at pjwhite@ualr.edu, or use the Early Alert Form at the bottom of the CALS website in the Faculty and Staff Resources menu.

Posted in: Alumni, News