Why get involved?
Involvement means to participate in campus life outside of attending class. Involvement can include attending university events, joining student groups, working on campus, being a fan of UALR athletics, and much more. Membership is a way to become involved in your academic or professional field and to connect with students while you have a good time. Whether you are interested in politics, a certain culture or religious affiliations, there is a group for you. Other opportunities are:
- Volunteer or participate in civic engagement through several groups on campus, such as Fraternities/Sororities, Scholar Programs, Student Government Association…
- Do an internship through Cooperative Education or through your degree plan (many degrees require an internship to graduate)
- Attend campus events such as shows, comedians, movie nights, and other programs offered through the Office of Campus Life
- Become a leader in an organization of your choice
- Learn about various cultural programs and events through International Student Services and Diversity Programs
- Become a mentor for non-traditional students
What are the benefits of student organizations?
- Use the university facilities
- Participate in university programs as an organization
- Reserve meeting space
- Conduct fundraisers on campus
- Participate in information fairs
- Apply for & spend university allocated funds
- Be listed in university publications, websites, and newsletters
How do I start?
- Visit the list of registered student organizations.
- View a list of officers and e-mail addresses or request information. Many student groups have open membership and accept members throughout the school year.
- Visit the Student Organization’s Program Coordinator in the Office of Campus Life in DSC 216.
- Attend a Student Organization Fair. Visit information tables set up and meet representatives from various student organizations. These organization fairs are held at the beginning of each semester.
- Keep your eyes open. Student groups are constantly hosting events or posting flyers advertising for clubs, events and activities.