The Peer Mentoring Program pairs a current non-traditional student with a new or returning non-traditional student for the purpose of providing one-on-one assistance during their transition to the academic environment. Peer mentors draw from their own experience to offer encouragement and support to their mentees and provide a connection to our university. Mentors offer insight, knowledge, perspective and encouragement to their mentees. A mentor can impact the menteeâ€™s level of self-confidence, chances for academic success, and perhaps even whether he or she stays in school.
Benefits of Being a Peer Mentor
â€˘ The satisfaction of passing along a legacy of knowledge, insight & experience
â€˘ Enhancing oneâ€™s own leadership skills
â€˘ Improved understanding about how others view the world
â€˘ Enhanced self-esteem and respect that comes from helping a fellow classmate
â€˘ The satisfaction of making a difference in someoneâ€™s life
Do you have what it takes to be a successful mentor?
- Do you enjoy being with and interacting with others?
- Would others describe you as good at talking and listening to them?
- Do you have a in-depth knowledge of your college/program?
- Are you willing to help others be successful in reaching their educational goals?
- Can you encourage and be patient?
- Are you willing to share your experiences as a non-traditional student?
Need a Mentor?
If you are a newly admitted non-traditional student wishing to receive support from a mentor, please fill out the application. We strive to pair Mentors and Mentees who have similar academic interests, but we are not always able to do so, depending on the availability of mentor volunteers.