The Peer Mentoring Program pairs a current non-traditional student with a new or returning non-traditional student for the purpose of providing one-on-one assistance during their transition to the academic environment. Peer mentors draw from their own experience to offer encouragement and support to their mentees and provide a connection to our university. Mentors offer insight, knowledge, perspective and encouragement to their mentees. A mentor can impact the menteeâ€™s level of self-confidence, chances for academic success, and perhaps even whether he or she stays in school.
Benefits of Being a Peer Mentor
â€˘ The satisfaction of passing along a legacy of knowledge, insight & experience
â€˘ Enhancing oneâ€™s own leadership skills
â€˘ Improved understanding about how others view the world
â€˘ Enhanced self-esteem and respect that comes from helping a fellow classmate
â€˘ The satisfaction of making a difference in someoneâ€™s life
Do you have what it takes to be a successful mentor?
- Do you enjoy being with and interacting with others?
- Would others describe you as good at talking and listening to them?
- Do you have a in-depth knowledge of your college/program?
- Are you willing to help others be successful in reaching their educational goals?
- Can you encourage and be patient?
- Are you willing to share your experiences as a non-traditional student?
Need a Mentor?
If you are a newly admitted non-traditional student wishing to receive support from a mentor, please fill out NTSO Member & Mentor Application. We strive to pair Mentors and Mentees who have similar academic interests, but we are not always able to do so, depending on the availability of Mentor volunteers.