One of the missions of the UALR Office of Campus Life is to provide women’s programs for our female students. The Power of Women (POW) tagline was conceptualized as the slogan for this programming series. The idea was to provide women’s programs year-round–not just during March, which is Women’s History Month.
Though females comprise over 60% of the population at UALR, there is still a great need to provide programming efforts to support women on campus. Here are some startling facts:
- A full-time working woman currently receives only 78 cents to every dollar received by a man.
- Seventy percent of the 1.2 billion people living in poverty worldwide are female.
- Abusive relationships are the leading cause of injury to women between the ages of 15 and 44.
- Women are five to eight more times likely than men to be victimized by an intimate partner.
- If shop mannequins were real women, they’d be too thin to have babies.
- There are three billion women who don’t look like supermodels, and only eight who do.
- The average woman weighs 144 lbs and wears between sizes 12 and 14.