Social Work

View/Download PDF Version

Admissions | Program Requirements | Graduate Courses

Ross Hall, 4th Floor, (501) 569-3240, website

Master of Social Work

The mission of the master ’s program of the UALR School of Social Work is to prepare social workers for advanced practice and leadership roles who have the skills and knowledge to enhance individual, family, group, organization, and community well-being, to work for social and economic justice, and to meet the human service needs of Arkansas and the surrounding region.

The Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) program is offered in Little Rock. After completion of the foundation year, students choose one of two concentrations for their second academic year of study: advanced direct practice (ADP) or management and community practice (MCP). The M.S.W. curriculum consists of 60 hours of graduate work, including 32 foundation hours, 22 concentration hours, and 6 elective hours. Internships are an integral part of the curriculum design, totaling 18 hours of course work or 1200 practice hours by graduation (1000 hours for advanced-standing students). Advanced-standing students are given credit for 17 hours of graduate work and need 43 hours to graduate. For more information about the program, visit the following website.

Admission Requirements

  • Baccalaureate degree with a liberal arts perspective from an accredited college or university.
  • Overall GPA of 3.0 is required.
  • Satisfactory scores on either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller’s Analogy Test (MAT) taken within the last five years. Test scores must be received before an admission decision can be made.
  • Narrative statement of professional orientation. (format included in the application packet)
  • Acceptable references indicating a propensity for both academics and social work practice.
  • Three form letters of reference from professional, academic, or volunteer associates. (forms included in the application packet)
  • Volunteer, employment, and other life experiences relevant to the career choice of social work.
  • Official transcripts with degree posted prior to the student’s enrolling in a graduate level course.

Advanced Standing Applicants ONLY

Must have a bachelor ’s degree in social work (B.S.W.) from a CSWE-accredited undergraduate program with a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Must have a 3.5 GPA in last 60 hours of undergraduate studies.
Degree must have been awarded within the last seven years.
Must submit a copy of all field/internship evaluations.
Must submit a recommendation written by a faculty member of the applicant’s undergraduate social work program.

Graduate Assistantships

A limited number of graduate assistantships are available. Contact the admissions coordinator for information. Information on Graduate Assistantships can be located on the UALR Graduate School website.

Transfer of Credit

Only applicants from other Council of Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited graduate social work programs will be considered for transfer admission. The applicant must have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 in graduate work. No grade lower than a B will be accepted for credit. An official statement from the former school indicating the student is in good standing is required. The concentration year (28 hours) of graduate study must be completed at UALR.

Only one graduate-level course from the UALR M.S.W. program, other departments at UALR, or other universities taken prior to the student’s beginning of core M.S.W. courses at UALR may be considered for transfer as an elective course. Students must submit a request of transfer of credit at or before the time of their enrollment. The request should include a cover letter, which discusses the content of the course (other than UALR M.S.W. courses) and its relevance to social work. A copy of the course outline shall be attached. This request should be addressed to the chair of the curriculum committee.

In the event that the curriculum committee accepts requests for transfer of credit, the application is forwarded to the Graduate School dean who then reviews the transfer of credit. Transfer grades are not computed as part of a student’s UALR cumulative GPA.


A number of stipends are available to students in the School of Social Work. Contact the field coordinator for information.

Academic Credit for Life/Professional Experience

Academic credit is not given for life experience and/or previous work experience, in whole or in part, in lieu of the field internship or of courses in the professional foundation areas specified in the Curriculum Policy Statement.