Quick start guide

Quick Start Guide

The following checklist indicates the steps that students new to UA Little Rock must take to begin their journey at UA Little Rock.

APPLY for Admission:

Complete an application for admission and submit the $40 non-refundable application fee at apply.ualr.edu Note: Military students are eligible for a waiver of the $40 fee. During the application questioning, you must indicate you are a military student and provide proof of service to the Admissions Office. (i.e., DD Form 214, ID Card, Military Orders, etc.)

SUBMIT Required Documents:

Submit Official Copies of the following to complete your application:

  1. Freshmen and freshmen transfers (those with less than 12 transferable college credit hours) should request that an official high school transcript or GED scores be sent to the Office of Admissions. Only official transcripts will be accepted and must be submitted in a sealed, stamped envelope or sent via electronic data interchange from the high school.
  2. Freshmen and freshmen transfers may need to request official ACT or SAT scores from the testing agency (UA Little Rock ACT Code 0132; UA Little Rock SAT code 6368) if the official high school transcript does not include scores and s/he did not indicate UA Little Rock as a score recipient at the time of testing. ACT, SAT, or COMPASS scores must be from tests taken within the last five years. Students have the option of taking the COMPASS test available through UA Little Rock Testing Services.
  3. All college transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admissions. Only official transcripts will be accepted and must be submitted in a sealed, stamped envelope or sent via electronic data interchange from the previous institution. Students may submit an “In Progress” transcript from the institution at which s/he is currently enrolled for admission purposes, but will still be required to submit a final, official transcript. Freshmen who completed high school concurrent credit at an institution other than UA Little Rock should submit an official college transcript.
  4. Students born after January 1, 1957, must submit proof of two MMR immunizations.
  5. Students whose native language is not English must provide proof of English language proficiency. See the section entitled “Non-Native English Language Requirement.”

Transfer Students. Students should submit any college transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Military Students. Students should submit military transcripts, in additional to all other college transcripts, to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Once notified of the receipt of your military transcript, our Director of Military Student Success, Kathy Oliverio, will evaluate the transcript for possible awarding of academic credit. Call (501) 569-3386 or email kmoliverio@ualr.edu for more information.

International Students. Students should first contact the Office of International Services at (501) 683-7566. The Office verifies and posts international transfer credits to the student’s file, which is then forwarded to the Office of Transfer Student Services where evaluation of transfer credits towards core curriculum requirements in the student’s academic major will be applied.

NOTE: Although you may be provisionally admitted until your admission requirements are complete, UA Little Rock cannot accurately evaluate your transfer hours, advise you, or guarantee registration in degree appropriate courses. Also, to receive financial aid your (a) admission requirements and (b) financial aid requirements must be complete.

APPLY for Housing:

Check on the Housing website for further information.

APPLY for Scholarships & Financial Aid:

Information concerning scholarships and financial aid is covered in depth starting in the following pages. You may also visit the Office of Financial Aid website at ualr.edu/financialaid.

Federal Financial Aid. If you have not already done so, apply for federal aid online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You must fill out the FAFSA form before applying for any state scholarships.

State Scholarships. Click on the “Universal” scholarship link. This will calculate what state scholarships and financial aid you are entitled to receive.

Transfer Scholarships. The Shelby Breedlove Transfer Scholarship is for students who will have completed at least 60 hours at an accredited Arkansas community college with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher. Applications must be received by February 1 for fall semester transfers.

UA Little Rock Private Scholarships. The deadline for private scholarships is March 1. For additional information about UA Little Rock’s private scholarship listing, go to ualr.edu/scholarships/private.

GI Bill. Active duty or military veterans who are entitled to the GI Bill should contact our Veterans Affairs Office at (501) 569-8171 or email vavets@ualr.edu.

FOLLOW UP on Your Application:

Once your admissions application is received, it will be reviewed. Within 3-5 business days, you will receive a letter identifying additional items you need to submit to complete your application. Your application must be complete before you will be fully admitted to the University and before you can receive financial aid.

ATTEND New Student Orientation:

Attendance at New Student Orientation is mandatory. You’ll need your student ID number (Trojan or T-number) and PIN in order to register for orientation. If you are not sure of your ID number or PIN, email the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at admissions@ualr.edu or call (501) 569-3127. For more information about orientation, contact the Student Experience Center at (501) 569-3308 or visit ualr.edu/newstudents/.

GET Academically Advised:

Once you are admitted to the University, you need to be advised as to which classes you need to take. (See the “Academic Advising” section for further details.) In this personalized conversation, an advisor will review your academic credentials, engage you in academic planning and assist you in course selection.

First-time students and undeclared majors are advised in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising. Any freshman who requires developmental reading/composition will be advised in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising and entered into the Collegiate Success Program.

Declared majors are advised in the department offering the major. Students may find their major advisor at ualr.edu/advising.

REGISTER for Classes:

Once advised, go to BOSS and register for classes.