In 1927 Little Rock Junior College opened to provide college-level courses to central Arkansas citizens who wanted and needed access to higher education. Classes met in a few unused rooms at Little Rock Senior High School and were led by one full-time teacher and a small group of part-time instructors who also taught in the high school. In its first year, “Jaycee”—as students soon referred to the new college—enrolled approximately 100 students paying five dollars per semester hour for the college’s two-year liberal arts program. Today the University of Arkansas at Little Rock is a comprehensive research university with 13,000 students.
Throughout its history, UALR has enjoyed visionary leadership from its presidents and chancellors.
R.C. Hall (1927-1930)
John A. Larson (1930-1949)
Granville Davis (1950‐1954)
E.Q. Brothers (acting president 1954‐1956)
Carey V. Stabler (1956‐1969)