UALR Children International is an extension of UALR’s commitment to service and community engagement. As Arkansas’ premier metropolitan university, UALR is committed to the needs of the community by creating active links between the campus and community. Children International works with parents, the Little Rock School District and partners to offer educational, health, and family services for 3,200 children, kindergarten through high school.
The Enrichment Instructor will teach hip hop dance using creative movements, music and rhythm incorporating elements such as step and stomp and other urban styles to a group of 20-25 students using the enrichment component of UALR Children International’s Kids’ Clubs at partnering after school programs. The Kids’ Club Hip Hop course serves a mixed-age group of 1st – 5th graders and will be offered at Wilson and Wakefield Elementary school four days per week: Mon. & Wed. and Tues. & Thurs. from 4:00-5:30 p.m. (1.5 hours/ day). One instructor can teach all four days or either set of Mon. & Wed. or Tues. & Thurs. The instructor will report to the Education Programs Coordinator (EPC) and be part of the UALR Children International Kids’ Club team. This is a grant-funded hourly position effective October 2016 to April 2017. Salary ranges from $15-$20/hour depending on qualifications.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and teach skills of Hip Hop dance in a course that can be delivered in approximately 25 hours of instruction per semester (approx.50 hours per year). Course must integrate well-being and life skills.
- Submit a course syllabus at the beginning of each semester.
- Prepare students to demonstrate their learning in a real-world setting (performance, competition, etc.)
- Create and maintain an active, engaging, and safe learning environment
- Serve as a positive role model to all students
- Ensure all children are properly supervised and safe at all times
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Abilities, & Skills
- Demonstrated ability and expertise in Hip Hop dance
- Demonstrated ability to teach and manage groups of mixed-age elementary children
- Ability to inspire students and create a stimulating learning environment
- Energetic and passionate about being a role model for all youth
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Clean driving record and willingness to transport youth in vans
- Spanish helpful
- Must be available on set program days, Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday from 4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Must provide own transportation to site.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
Education & Experience
Must have the formal education equivalent of a high school diploma plus two years of specialized training in area of expertise and at least one year of experience teaching or facilitating groups of elementary age children in a formal setting; college degree, teaching certification or advanced certification in area of expertise preferred.