UA Little Rock Children International is an extension of UA Little Rock’s commitment to service and community engagement. As Arkansas’ premier metropolitan university, UA Little Rock is committed to the needs of the community by creating active links between the campus and community. Children International works with parents, the Little Rock School District and partners to offer educational, health, and family services for 2,600children, kindergarten through high school.
The Afterschool Program Aide will help provide quality after school enrichment and recreational programming for elementary students enrolled in UA Little Rock Children International Kids’ Clubs or partnering afterschool programs. Kids’ Club programs serve 1 st – 5 th graders and are offered at Wakefield and Stephens Elementary. UA Little Rock Children International also provides Kids’ Club support to community programs for 10-14 year olds during after- schools hours. The Program Aide will report to the Programs Coordinator (PC) and be part of the UA Little Rock Children International Kids’ Club team. This is a grant-funded hourly position effective September 2017 to May 2018. Program Aides are assigned one primary program site and will work 3 afternoons (Wakefield) and 4 Afternoons (Stephens), from 2 – 6 p.m., per week (12 -16 hours). In addition to the program site hours, all program aides will meet one Friday every month from 2:00-5:00 p.m. for on-going training. Salary is $9/hour.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Facilitate and assist with a variety of whole group and small group educational, enrichment and recreational programs and activities for students
- Assist with program administrative duties such as attendance, snack distribution, and dismissal
- Act as a role model and mentor to children
- Supervise children in groups and individually
- Conduct a social & financial literacy class (Aflatoun) once a week
- Be actively engaged with students at all times
- Provide organized play opportunities during recess and other times
- Assist with special events like field trips and community service projects
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Abilities, & Skills
- At least 18 years of age and able to provide own transportation to program site
- Energetic and passionate about being a role model for all youth
- Ability to facilitate and supervise elementary students
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Clean driving record and willingness to transport youth in vans
- Spanish helpful
- Must be available on set program days, Monday-Thursday from 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. and one Friday/month 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
Education & Experience
- Must have a high school diploma plus previous work or volunteer experience working with children or youth in a group setting