UA Little Rock Children International is an extension of UA Little Rock’s commitment to service and community engagement. As Arkansas’ premier metropolitan university, UA Little Rock is committed to the needs of the community by creating active links between the campus and community. Children International works with parents, the Little Rock School District and partners to offer educational, health, and family services for 2,600 children, kindergarten through high school.
The Robotics Enrichment Instructor will teach a hands-on, skills-based Robotics (STEM) course to a group of 20-25 students using LEGO Mindstorm kits or develop such program relative to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math during the enrichment component of UA Little Rock Children International’s Kids’ Clubs at partnering after school programs. The Kids’ Club Hip Hop course serves a mixed-age group of 1st – 5th graders and will be offered at Stephens and Wakefield Elementary school four days per week: Mon. & Wed. and Tues. & Thurs. from 4:00-5:30 p.m. (1.5 hours/ day). One instructor can teach all four days or either set of Mon. & Wed. or Tues. & Thurs. The instructor will report to the Programs Coordinator (PC) and be part of the UA Little Rock Children International Kids’ Club team. This is a grant-funded hourly position effective September 2017 to May 2018. Salary ranges from $15-$20/hour depending on qualifications.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and teach a hands-on, skills based Robotics (STEM) course that can be delivered in approximately 25 hours of instruction per semester (50 hours per year). Course must integrate well-being and life skills.
- Submit a course syllabus at the beginning of each semester.
- Prepare students to demonstrate their learning in a real-world setting (performance, competition, etc.)
- Create and maintain an active, engaging, and safe learning environment
- Serve as a positive role model to all students
- Ensure all children are properly supervised and safe at all times
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Abilities, & Skills
- Demonstrated ability and expertise in Robotics (STEM) education
- Demonstrated ability to teach and manage groups of mixed-age elementary children
- Ability to inspire students and create a stimulating learning environment
- Energetic and passionate about being a role model for all youth
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Clean driving record and willingness to transport youth in vans
- Spanish helpful
- Must be available on set program days, Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday from 4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Must provide own transportation to site
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
Education & Experience
- Must have the formal education equivalent of a high school diploma plus two years of specialized training in area of expertise and at least one year of experience teaching or facilitating groups of elementary age children in a formal setting; college degree, teaching certification or advanced certification in area of expertise preferred.