ATTENTION LITTLE ROCK YOUTH!
2017-2018 Quick Facts
Who is eligible to be a member of the UALR CI Youth Council?
UALR CI sponsored youth and/or LRSD students who are in 6th-11th grades at the me of application. Students who are not in CI must have a 2.0 GPA and provide a transcript with the application.
When can I apply to be on the council?
Applications are available from April 15-May 6th, 2017 at the UALR CI office or online at www.ualr.edu/children. You may also ask your school counselor if they have copies.
How are Youth Council members chosen?
Eligible applicants will be called to interview for the Youth Council. Interviews will be held on Saturday, May 20, 2017 from 10am to 1pm at the UALR CI office. Food will be provided on this day. Council members will be chosen based on their applications and interviews.
How will I know that I have been chosen as a Youth Council member?
You will receive a call and email offering you a membership position on the Youth Council. Your school counselor will also be noticed. You must respond to email within 48 hours to accept your position.
Will training be provided?
Yes. 2017-2018 Youth Council members will be required to a end a 3 day/2 night training retreat from Wednesday, June 28 through Friday, June 30, 2017. A mid year training will be scheduled around December.
What days will the Youth Council meet during the school year?
Meeting dates will be determined by the 2017-2018 Youth Council at the training retreat.
Who can become a Youth Council officer?
Only CI sponsored youth who have been on the council for at least one year can run for office. Once you are elected you remain in office for two years.
When will officer elections be held?
Elections will be held at the UALR CI Youth Leadership Summit on Saturday, August 5 on the UA Little Rock campus. The summit is open to all Little Rock 6th-12th graders. Council members are required to a end in order to vote.
Want to make a difference in your community while adding valuable experience to your resume? Represent your school and peers as a member of the 2017-2018 UA Little Rock CI Youth Council! Applications available at the CI office or by clicking here –> Youth Council Application!
Deadline to apply is May 6…Apply for the CI Youth Council TODAY!
Look at everything we have to offer!
Join Youth Leadership and make a difference in your community. Young leaders from all over Little Rock design creative projects to make a real difference in their community. The program offers a series of life skills workshops on team building, leadership styles, conflict resolution, financial literacy and volunteer management. Call Faith McMath, Youth Program Manager, at 501-663-5541 for more information.
– Hope Scholarship
– Game Night
- From September through June, come hang out with us on every first Friday at 4:30pm–6:30pm!
– Annual International Art Contest
- ages 6-18
- local contest is held in July-August each year
- theme is announced by the end of each June
- submissions are due by first Saturday in August
– Road to College
The Road to College and Career Program helps CI students in 9th-12th grade prepare for life after high school by connecting you with college prep partners, teaching financial skills, and giving you an opportunity to save money that will help you go to college, start a business, join the military or whatever your goals may be after high school.
- Tuesdays from 5:30pm-7pm @ the EIT Building Rm 321
- open to CI sponsored 9th-12th graders
- each grade meets one Tuesday a month
- students are assigned to a college-aged mentor and work with UALR TRIO advisors
- benefits of the program include:
- free ACT Prep with college prep partners
- support in completing your FAFSA, get advice from current college students, and visit colleges
- internships, connections, and possible job opportunities
- the opportunity to receive a $1000 hope scholarship upon high school graduation
– Resource Center
- Hours of Operation
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday — 9:30am to 1:30pm Open to 18+
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday — 2:30pm to 6:30pm Open to all*
- Tuesday, Thursday — 2:30pm to 6:30pm Open to all*
- 1st & 3rd Saturdays ONLY — 9:00am-12:00pm Open to all*
- Homework Help from assistants/volunteers
- resource books, pamphlets and guidance about employment, educational, and health concerns
- supplies for school/work projects, homework, and resume building
- computer and printer access
– Youth Council
A represent your peers in Little Rock and US by joining one of the youth-led council committees: Teen Voices, Aflateen, & Community Care Club
– Youth Health Corps: Peer-2-Peer
Help educate your peers about issues that youth face on a daily basis. Real issues. Real talk. (Reproductive health education)
Resource Assistants & Mentors
Are you struggling with essay writing? Research? Math? Are you facing peer pressures at school and need to talk to someone?
We can help with all of those concerns and more. Our assistants and mentors are highly selected with expertise in all disciplines. This service is provided free of charge and is available throughout the week at flexible times. Call Faith McMath, Youth Program Manager, at 501-663-5541 for more information.
Every year, UALR Children International hosts a variety of creative, hands-on learning summer workshops to support our youth members. Call Faith McMath, Youth Program Manager, at 501-663-5541 for more information.