Econ/Finance Students Study Buffett’s Investments and Attend His Shareholders Meeting

A partnership between the UALR College of Business and Delta Trust & Bank offers three top economics and finance students a unique opportunity with an independent study that culminates with attending the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting and hearing Warren Buffett speak April 30, in Omaha, Neb.

The students selected to participate in this year’s independent study are Kate Hendrix of Benton; Nathalia Garay of Bogota, Colombia; and Brooke Dodd of Hot Springs. Following completion of an Investment Analysis course, they applied and interviewed to participate in the intense study under the direction of Finance Professor Larry Holland.

Delta Trust & UALR Students

This is the fifth year Delta Trust executives have provided a comprehensive overview of financial services for UALR students. Discussions include trust administration, estate planning, portfolio management, financial planning, insurance, investments, trading, employee benefits, wealth transfer, and lending and credit analysis. Along with watching related interviews, the students are required to read books about Buffet’s investment strategies, by his mentor, and on Berkshire Hathaway, as well as the company’s annual reports.

Delta-Trust

“I feel as though the experience of this Independent study has been greatly beneficial, said Hendrix, a senior economics major. “We have been able to network with successful professionals in the business community and have also been able to see those business and financial principles that we have studied actually being applied in a business setting. It has been a tremendous learning experience, and I believe that it has allowed me to obtain a much better understanding of investments.”

Garay, a general finance major, said, “I think this experience will be beneficial for my future studies/career because I have been making a deep and intense study about the investment philosophy of the most successful investor in history. His philosophy will be beneficial for me because even though I can’t do the same type of investments he does, I can apply his principles in my future decisions.” Garay’s career goals are to become a chartered financial analyst and portfolio manager.

Dodd, a senior finance major with an emphasis in financial planning, said, “It’s just such a rare opportunity ─ a finance class that lets you break away from textbook finance and study practical finance from one of the best in the field. The trip to the shareholders meeting truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Posted in: News