Dr. Steve W. Edison, professor of marketing, was awarded the 2012 Harper W. Boyd Jr. Professor of Excellence at UALR’s College of Business’ 36th Annual Honors and Awards ceremony May 4.
Edison came to UALR after a 30-year career in technology, marketing, and sales. Working for Fortune 100 firms and start-ups, Dr. Edison held the positions of salesman, sales manager, marketing director, and marketing vice president and president. Fortunately, Dr. Edison did not become wealthy in these endeavors, and he chose another path — higher education. Entering the Ph.D. program at Texas Tech at the advanced age of 50, he earned his Ph.D. and came to UALR where he has been ever since. Dr. Edison teaches marketing and professional selling courses in the College of Business. He is a member of Sales & Marketing Professional Association and co-director of the UALR Academy for Teaching and Learning.
The Boyd Professor of Excellence was established to recognize a professor for his or her distinction as a scholar, a teacher, and a leader in the college, university, and community.
Accomplishments credited to Dr. Edison include:
· Creating a world-wide sales force for a start-up firm, bringing the firm from $4 million to nearly $200 million
· Creating the World Invitational Type-Off with Key Partners Microsoft, Word Perfect and SouthWest Publishing – record in the Guinness World Book of Records
· Establishing the UALR Center for Professional Sales
· Establishing the Professional Edge Series of professional development for UALR students and graduates
· Creating the International Visa Information Program.