Marketing students find success in employment and internships

Recently, three U of A Little Rock Marketing & Advertising majors took the time to speak with us about their experiences at the College of Business. Specifically, they wanted to share details on the courses and instructors who helped prepare them for success upon graduation.

Brady Edwards

Brady Edwards file photo“I came to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock for an opportunity to play Division I golf. I was under-recruited by most universities and wanted to prove to everyone that I deserve to be a part of a Division I program. A student-athlete has to be well balanced with academics from teachers and responsibilities from coaches. The skills I learned from being coached all my life in sports finally transition into the classroom.

“The first class I took with Dr. David Gilliam, Business-to-Business Marketing, was when I finally learned what industry I wanted to be in. Dr. Gilliam showed me the tools to be in the Business-to-Business sector rather than Business-to-Consumer, which is typically what most people analyze. Another class that pushed me was Dr. Lenita Davis’ Sales Management. This is the only college class that took me out of my comfort zone, but was still successful. I liked being out of my comfort zone and in a pressured situation. Dr. Davis has also helped me land my first internship at PFITR, a software company that educates users with the bond market.

“My next endeavor is moving back to Phoenix, Arizona to start training with Edward Jones as a financial advisor. My experience at UALR has made me a better person to my family and given me the confidence to do whatever I put my mind too.”

Latasha Briscoe

Latasha Briscoe file photoLatasha Briscoe of August graduated with honors from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock’s Commencement Ceremony Saturday, May 13th, 2017, obtaining a dual degree in a Bachelor of Science in Biology and a Bachelor of Arts in Applied Communication with a minor in Chemistry.

While at UA – Little Rock, Briscoe’s activities included being a member of Chancellors Leadership Corps, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Lambda Pi Eta National Honor Society and the Society for Collegiate Leadership and Achievement.

In addition to this, she is listed in Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities, earned Dean’s List honors over a span of several semesters, and has represented UA- Little Rock in a commercial and in the Arkansas Academic Challenge Magazine.

Briscoe is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated, Epsilon Phi Chapter, where she served as Chapter President as well as the Arkansas Undergraduate Cluster Coordinator to the South-Central Region.

While pursuing her degrees, Briscoe worked for ARcare as a Scholar in Residence and is currently a Pharmacy Technician.

But, it was the amazing opportunity she received from the College of Business that helped her to land numerous job opportunities and interviews before and after graduation. “I’m still being contacted for sales jobs primarily in the software/tech sales industry, and although I haven’t completely made my final decision yet, Dr. Davis and the College of Business has made it to where I have gotten this far and I feel very Blessed,” Briscoe said.

She entered into Dr. Davis’ Advanced Professional Sales class and it quickly gave her the techniques of salesmanship, field application of selling techniques, improving communications skills. Key focus is key account selling and relationship management tools. As well as problem solving as the basis of consultative selling.

By enrolling in this class, Briscoe has competed in several national sales competitions in California, Louisiana, and New York City where she has placed within the Top 5 of competitors, landing numerous job opportunities. After completing this course, Briscoe was still able to complete an internship with Collins Consulting, that gave her even more experience of the business world.

A’Ja Rolfe

Aja Rolfe file photo“Freshman year, I was introduced to Mrs. Shannon Gwinn, Director of the Center for Student and Career Services for the College of Business. If you are in the College of Business and don’t know her, I advise that you make it your goal to meet her! She is well-connected and helped me earn many of my badges for Career Catalyst. These events and workshops, like the Business Etiquette Luncheon and the Spring Speed Mixer, teach valuable skills such as the proper way to dress for certain business occasions, how to network and stand out amongst other applicants, and how to prepare your best sales pitch.

“Similarly, Dr. Lenita Davis is the Chairperson and a Professor of Marketing and Executive Director of the Sales Program for the College of Business. After signing up for her Advanced Professional Selling course, I was introduced into the world of Sales Competitions. With her encouragement and guidance, I traveled and competed in three national competitions in Florida, New Jersey, and Louisiana – all expenses paid, I might add. At each competition, I was introduced to several students, professors, and professionals from all over; networking and learning more about sales and marketing than I could ever imagine.

“Before the end of my sophomore year here at UALR, I had been offered over 20 internships and job opportunities, from businesses and companies all over. I ended my sophomore year with two amazing jobs: at Beyond Cotton I was hired as a social media intern and at Aflac I was hired as a marketing intern, both with great recommendations and preparation from the College of Business.”

Posted in: Marketing and Advertising, News, Student Spotlight