Coleman Creek takes its name from Eleithet B. Coleman, who bought land between the creek and what is now University Avenue, north of Fourche Creek. The farm eventually developed into Coleman Dairy which until 2003 operated a processing plant on the same land, bordering the University campus to the south immediately across Asher Avenue.
Coleman Creek became part of UALR’s history in 1947 when the school (then Little Rock Junior College) looked for a larger location to accommodate its growing student body. In 1949 the college moved to its new home, a gift from businessman Raymond Rebsamen, 80 acres along Hayes Street (now University Avenue), southwest of the city and immediately north of Coleman Dairy.
The creek which bordered the Coleman property on the east flowed through the 80 acres from the southeast to the northwest of the tract.
Beginning in the fall of 1947 and over the next two years, classes were held in converted military buildings while more permanent buildings were constructed. Since there was no entrance to the campus off Hayes Street, students and faculty approached by way of Fair Park and Thirty-second Street, making it necessary for them to drive through Coleman Creek.
Problems with flooding required a constant effort by campus personnel to drain off the overflow. In September 1949 members of the Trojan football team rescued three children who got separated from their mother because of the flooding and were trapped in a tree.
In 1961, an entrance from University (Hayes Street) was added, and at last in 1964, a bridge was built over 32nd Street.
Efforts of Dr. Joe Whitesell of the biology department resulted in the building of a small amphitheater on the east side of Coleman Creek to provide for an outdoor classroom.