Exceptions to AP Style
UALR Style adheres to the serial comma. A comma is used before the coordinating conjunction that precedes the final item of a list.
Chancellor Anderson greeted faculty, staff, students, and guests to the event.
It is permissible to use the abbreviations of formal degrees on first reference. The word â€śdegreeâ€ť should follow the degree title.
After completing her B.A. degree in 2009, she decided to pursue her M.A. degree.
She received a master’s degree.
UALR Preferred Terminology
- When necessary, make distinction between first-time entering freshman and freshman. First-time student is also acceptable.
- Use international students, not foreign students.
- Use residence hall, not dorm or dormitory.
- Use email, not e-mail.
The University Name
- The official name of the university is the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
- In most cases, the full formal name is used on first reference. Second and subsequent references may use UALR (no periods) or the university (lowercase u). UALR is acceptable on first reference for internal or Central Arkansas audiences.
- The following forms are not acceptable: the University of Arkansas @ Little Rock, University of Arkansas â€“ Little Rock, UA Little Rock, or any variation of these.
Common UALR Style Issues
- It is unnecessary to include http:// or www. in a URL when it is clear that a web address is referenced.
- When composing paragraphs, use only one space between an ending period and the first letter of a new sentence.
- Upon first reference, always use the full name of a person, place, program, department or event. A shortened or acronym version is acceptable for second reference.
Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe highlighted a long list of distinguished speakers and guests at the Sept. 10, 2010, dedication of the new Donaghey College of Engineering and Information Technology building. Gov. Beebe said the opening of the EIT building is a visible manifestation of the link between education and economic development.
- Telephone numbers do not need parentheses; instead, use periods.
For more information, call the Office of Communications at 501.683.7397.
- For titles, capitalize the title when used before the name:
Chancellor Joel E. Anderson
Use a comma and lowercase when used after the name:
Joel E. Anderson, chancellor
When the name is not included in the sentence, use lowercase:
The chancellor arrived early.
- The possessive of Arkansas is Arkansas’s.