Uniform email signatures deliver brand consistency electronically across university departments and offices. Just as our business cards uphold an identity standard, email signatures should follow a similar conventional style.
UALR Signature Model
Below is an example of the preferred UALR plain text signature model:
John Doe | Director of University Excitement
University of Arkansas at Little Rock | Office of Good Times
501.569.3000 | firstname.lastname@example.org | ualr.edu
An optional line to include your social network links is also acceptable:
Follow us: facebook.com/ualr.edu | twitter.com/ualr
*Note: If you choose to use links to department, organization, or college-level social networks, they should adhere to the Social Media Guidelines developed by the Office of Communications.
Because of the wide variety of desktop and web browser email clients, a consistent signature can be difficult to achieve. The best rule of thumb? Keep it simple.
- Less is more. Your signature should not be longer than four lines. Go wider rather than longer, and use pipes to separate components.
- Use a simple 10 pt standard font (preferred) or your email client’s default font. Non-standard typefaces and HTML may not translate well across email clients.
- Avoid using any graphics or colors.
- Refrain from using quotations or other philosophical statements. Don’t confuse your UALR email account with your personal email account. Your signature should reflect a professional and consistent university viewpoint when conducting business through email.
Creating an Email Signature in Gmail
- Click SETTINGS at the top right of your UALR Gmail page.
- Enter your new signature text in the box at the bottom of the page next to the SIGNATURE option.
- To create the pipe (|) between words, use the [shift] +  keys. (May vary depending on keyboard.)
- Make sure that the radial button next to signature is checked. The default selection is “No Signature.”
- Click Save Changes at the very bottom of the page.
If you have questions about the UALR signature style, call 501.569.3373.