Estimators Group Honors EIT Adjunct Professor

Doyle Phillips, an adjunct professor in the Construction Management and Civil and
Doyle Phillips, an adjunct professor in the Construction Management and Civil and Construction Engineering Department and a UALR graduate, in August was named National Estimator of the Year by the American Society of Professional Estimators (ASPE) at its annual convention. Phillips is chief estimator at Baldwin & Shell Construction Co. in Little Rock.

“It is an extreme honor to be recognized by my peers,” Phillips says. “I serve the society and fellow peers within the industry because of my own desire to not only make myself a better individual, but to hopefully assist others in reaching their full potential. My love and passion for teaching stands as proof to that, and this award should show to others my dedication to being the best that I can be in my profession. It is a humbling experience to be awarded for merely doing what you love to do.”

ASPE awards only one National Estimator of the Year Award each year, and if there are no submittals it is not required to be given. A nominee is submitted by his or her local chapter with supporting documentation about why the individual is deserving of the award. The application is based on a set of minimum requirements, which include at least 10 years in the profession, holding the Certified Professional Estimator credential form the society, and accumulating a minimum of 100 points on a scoring system for various services rendered to the industry.

Those services include participation in regional and national events, teaching seminars at various estimating academies and events across the country, outreach to other construction organizations, service to the local community, and publishing articles in the society’s “Estimating Today” magazine and any other venues within the industry. ASPE holds this award as its second highest award given to any individual. The only award higher in recognition is being raised to Fellow of the Society.

Posted in: News