Location: Omaha, NE
Posting Date: 03-10-2011
Reference Number: 061016
Job Open To: Internal and External Candidates
• Union Pacific Railroad is looking for interested students who would like to work during the
summer months or who would like to work 15-20 hours per week in the Mechanical Department
in Omaha, Nebraska. Transcripts will be required at the time of interview with a minimum
cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above. Proof of on-going enrollment each semester may be required.
Display good oral and written communication skills. Technical skills – typing, Microsoft Office
Word, Excel, PowerPoint and experience in MS Access is a plus. Applicants must have full-time
U.S. work authorization without company sponsorship now or in the future. Applicants must pass
mandatory employment drug test and background search. Applicants are subject to the Company
dress code and random drug testing.
• Description: This is an analytical position that is in the Mechanical Locomotive Department. The
opportunity is intended for college students during their sophomore or junior year of college while
pursuing an undergraduate degree. Applicants should have a desire to develop into leadership
positions and be self-motivated. Primary job responsibilities will include working with senior
members of the staff on reliability centered maintenance tasks.
• Working Conditions: Working conditions are primarily in an office environment, although there
could be occasional trips to the field for training or education regarding operation and
maintenance of locomotives and freight cars. Specific assignments will typically include: 1)
developing an understanding of locomotive, 2) understanding, applying, or developing business
processes, data analysis and presentations, and 3) applying LEAN or Six Sigma concepts to
• Expectations: All coops/interns are expected to be self-starters, work well independently, and
have an ongoing respect for heavy machinery associated with the transportation industry and its
inherent dangers. Interns may experience a limited amount of travel at the company’s expense.
Interns are expected to perform quality and timely work assignments, make best use of
resources, work in cooperation with all employees, and perform according to normal and
customary ethical standards.
• Employment status: While employed at Union Pacific Railroad, intern students will be classified
as railroad employees for the time of their experience. Acceptance of employment for an
internship is not a contract for full-time hire and can be terminated by Union Pacific or the intern
at any time.
• College credits equivalent to two years towards an undergraduate degree (Sophomore status or
above) currently enrolled in an accredited university actively pursuing a degree.
Prefer a student with a major in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, will consider other Business and
Information Technology degrees .
• Intermediate computer skills MATLAB or other similar engineering tool.
• Intermediate Microsoft Suite skills Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access