Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the English Department’s phone number?
A: (501) 569-3161

Q: What is the English Department’s mailing address?
A: University of Arkansas at Little Rock
English Department, Stabler Hall 501
2801 South University Avenue
Little Rock, AR 72204

Q: Whom do I contact about freshman composition or technical writing?
A: Freshman composition and technical writing courses are offered by the Rhetoric and Writing department. Their phone number is 569-3160. Their web address is ualr.edu/rhetoric/.

Q: How can I contact the English Department faculty?
A: You can call the English Department at 569-3161 and ask to be transferred to the faculty member, or you can find the professor’s contact information on their faculty page.

Q: How do I get a professor’s home phone number?
A: Some professors list their home phone numbers on their syllabi, but that is not required. The English Department office can only give a professor’s home phone if she or he has granted permission.

Q: How do I get a professor’s office hours?
A: Professors change office hours from one term to another as their classes change. Office hours are normally on your syllabus, and they are kept on file in the main office. Please call the office at 569-3161 if you cannot find a professor’s office hours on your syllabus. Professors who do not teach during the summer do not keep office hours then.

Q: How can I substitute courses taken at another college for course requirements at UALR?
A: The answer is “it depends.” Course substitutions are common, but each course substitution is considered individually and must be approved by the chair of the department in which the course is offered, and by the dean of the college where the department is located. These conditions apply for transfer hours and hours taken in residence at UALR. You can look up some courses accepted in transfer from other institutions and their course equivalencies at ualr.edu/records/transfer/tca/.

Q: What hours is the English Department office open?
A: Normal hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Q: What is the Writing Center’s phone?
A: Their phone number is 569-8343; and their web address is ualr.edu/writingcenter/.

Q: When will I get an advisor, who will it be, and how can I make appointments with that person?
A: An advisor is normally assigned when you declare your major. If you don’t know who your advisor is, call the Department Chair (Paul Yoder, 569-8321).

Q: Do you offer a Master’s degree in English?
A: No. However, you could pursue a Master’s degree in Liberal Studies or a Master’s degree in Professional and Technical Writing.

Q: How do I become certified to teach English in high school?
A: Secondary Certification in English requires completion of additional hours beyond the English major. It is also necessary to be advised by both the College of Education and the English department. Find more information on our Majors page.

Q: What if I have questions that are not on this list?
A: Call the English department at 569-3161 during regular office hours (8 am – 5 pm, M-F) or come to the office at 501 Stabler Hall. (Click here for a campus map.)