Laura Barrio-Vilar, PhD
PhD, University of Kentucky
MA, University of Kentucky
BA, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela
Areas of Focus
African-American Literature, Ethnic Literature, Post-colonial Studies, and Gender and Women’s Studies
- “Racial Uplift Ideology and Black Womanhood in Frances Harper’s Serialized Novels.” Popular Nineteenth-Century American Women Writers and the Literary Marketplace. Eds. Earl Yarington and Mary De Jong. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars, 2007. 405-31.
- “Getting a Taste of the Other: The Eighteenth-Century British Novel as the Epitome of Masquerade.” Cultura, Lenguaje y Representación / Culture, Language and Representation 1 (May 2004): 55-67.
- “Narrating the African Self in the Late Eighteenth Century: Issues of Voice, Authority, and Identity in Gronniosaw’s 1770 Narrative.” Journal of Kentucky Studies 20 (September 2003): 117-22.
- “Narrating the Slave Self in the Americas: Issues of Authority, Voice, and Identity in Cuban Narratives of Slavery.” Journal of Caribbean Studies 17.1-2 (Summer-Fall 2002): 33-50.
Nickole Brown, MFA
MFA, Vermont College of the Fine Arts
English Speaking Union Scholar, Oxford University
BA, summa cum laude, English, University of Louisville
Areas of Focus
Creative Writing, Poetry Writing, Form and Theory of Poetry
- National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship
- The 2010 Orlando Prize for Poetry from A Room of Her Own Foundation
- Three Artist Enrichment Grants from the Kentucky Foundation for Women
- Al Smith Individual Artist Support Grant
- Individual Artist Professional Development Grant from the Kentucky Arts Council
- 2008 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year finalist
- A Book of Birds: Poems (manuscript in progress)
- Sister: A Novel-in-Poems (Red Hen Press, 2007)
- All of Us, by Elisabeth Frost (The Marie Alexander Poetry Series of White Pine Press, 2011)
- Angles of Approach, by Holly Iglesias (The Marie Alexander Poetry Series of White Pine Press, 2010)
- Cut Away: A Novel, by Catherine Kirkwood (Arktoi Books of Red Hen Press, 2010)
- Air Fare: Stories, Poems & Essays on Flight (Sarabande Books, 2004)