UALR English Department Assessment Guidelines for Preparing the Portfolio
For your portfolio, you will be pulling together materials from your course of study in English.
You are not being graded for this exercise. Your record will reflect only the fact that you submitted a portfolio. The purpose of the portfolio is to illustrate for an audience outside UALR how well the English major is doing its job. The program is what is being graded.
If you are in the William G. Cooper, Jr., Honors Program in English, we encourage you to include your Honors project as one of your papers.
IN PREPARING THE PORTFOLIO FOR LITERARY STUDIES, please observe the following requirements:
- Each portfolio should contain six papers from your previous course work
- At least one paper should come from a class in English Literature and at least one should come from a class in American Literature
- Two of the papers should be research papers of at least 10 pages, with documentation
- Two of the papers should be reading or position papers of 2-6 pages
- Two papers are your choice.
IN PREPARING THE PORTFOLIO FOR CREATIVE WRITING, please observe the following requirements:
- NOTE: ONLY STUDENTS WHO ARE ON THE CREATIVE WRITING TRACK OR WHO ARE MINORING IN CREATIVE WRITING MAY CHOOSE THIS OPTION
- Section One (total of four papers): one paper from a class in English literature and one from a class in American Literature
- One research paper
- One position or reading paper
- Section Two: choose one of the following options:
- two short stories or chapters of a book
- 5 - 10 poems
- one short story or chapter and 3 - 5 poems
PLEASE NOTE: when possible, include a copy of the original assignment from each paper in the portfolio.