Search Engines and Indexes:
- configurable “deep net” search; gives access to the wealth of information unobtainable through traditional crawler search engines like Google and AltaVista
- the largest search engine on the web, offering users access to an index of more than 3 billion URLs. Also offers access to cached copies of pages that are no longer available.
- All the Web
- another large search engine. Phrases from a custom dictionary are added automatically to improve the relevance of results.
- index of entries categorized by editors; combined with search results from Google
- Alta Vista Advanced
- search engine with advanced options for fine-tuning results
- Librarians’ Index to the Internet
- excellent for researching academic subjects
- also excellent for researching academic subjects
- A meta search engine which presents its results on a visual map; fun place to search if you are trying to tie together ideas
English Literature Comprehensive Link Pages:
- The Voice of the Shuttle
is a comprehensive set of web link reference pages with thousands of links to genres, authors, literary eras, and other valuable information.
- The University of Virginia Electronic Text Library
is an online library of works in English and other languages. It contains many online texts of famous authors that are in the public domain.
- Literature Sites on the Web
has links to teaching literature, film and media resources, literature webs with contextual links, research tools, literature resources on the web and many others. A great site.
English Departments in the U.S. and around the World:
- English Department Homepages Worldwide
A comprehensive collection of English Department home pages from the United States and around the world.
- online dictionary, thesaurus, language resources, grammar information, translation, word of the day and other games
- MLA Documentation Format (Style Guide)
Provided by the UALR Online Writing Lab.
- Statistical Information
- links to help you find and use supporting data
- Infoplease Biography
- large (30,000 people) biography search engine and index
- Repositories of Primary Sources
- Ready, ‘Net, Go
- worldwide archive index
- CIA World Factbook
- Free Internet Encyclopedia
- Internet Movie Database
- My Virtual Reference Desk
A collection of sites from newspapers to technical references.
- American Native Press Archives
UALR on-campus resource–includes a searchable bibliography, digital texts and much more.
- Native American Writers
- Onelook Dictionaries Database
A set of dictionaries of all kinds (medical, business, etc.).
- World Lecture Hall
Links to web courses in all specialties.
- Science Fiction Study Guides
Practical Links for Students and Faculty:
Women Writers on the Web:
- Angelou, Maya
- Maya Angelou’s Official Home Sited
- Primary Works and Selected Bibliography (PAL: Perspectives in American Literature - A Research and Reference Guide)
- Angelou page with brief biography, bibliography, selections from poems, etc.
- Voices from the Gaps: Women Writers of Color - Maya Angelou page
- Atwood, Margaret
- O.W. Toad - The Official Margaret Atwood Reference Site
- Margaret Atwood Teacher Resource File with biography, bibliography, e-texts, criticism, etc.
- Barnes, Djuna
- Bishop, Elizabeth
- Brooks, Gwendolyn - The Academy of American Poets - biography photographs, selected poems, and links
- Clifton, Lucille - The Academy of American Poets - biography photographs, selected poems, and links
- Ding Ling
- Dolittle, Hilda (H.D.) home page; brief bio., bibliography, H.D. Newsletter, H.D. Society, H.D. collections, and many other links.
- Giovanni, Nikki
- Hurston, Zora Neale
- Lessing, Doris
- Doris Lessing, A Retrospective, pictures, bibliography, audio, and much more. An excellent site.
- Mew, Charlotte
- Mew’s bio. (brief), selected poems, and a bibliography.
- Millay, Edna St. Vincent
- Morrison, Toni - biography, bibliography, interviews, excerpts, article links
- Plath, Sylvia - personal influences and other information.
- Sappho. (brief), selections from her poems, and bibliography.
- Shelley, Mary
- Stein, Gertrude.(brief), one poem, and links.
Other Interesting and Useful Links:
- Electronic Poetry Center.
- Hyperizons: The Hypertext Fiction Homepage.
- Digital Storytelling
- The Mississippi Review
- The Official Cyberpunk Home Page
- The Paris Review
- The Sewanee Review