In addition to the UALR Graduate School admission requirements, the applicants for the Ph.D. program in Engineering Science and Systems must also meet the following criteria:
- Education: Applicants must have a bachelorâ€™s degree in engineering, technology, science, or related discipline. The applicants with only a bachelorâ€™s degree must have an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or 3.3 on the last 60 credit hours. Alternatively, applicants with a masterâ€™s degree in engineering should have a masterâ€™s GPA of 3.3 or better.
- Standardized test scores: Applicants are required to take the GRE test. A minimum combined score on the GRE test of 1100 (Verbal Reasoning plus Quantitative Reasoning), with a minimum of 700 in the Quantitative Reasoning section is required. Applicants should also have a score of 4.5 in the Analytical Writing section.
- English language requirement: International students must satisfy the Graduate School TOEFL or IELTS tests requirements.
- Statement of purpose: Applicants are required to submit a personal statement that should include their background and qualifications for doctoral studies, and emphasize their educational and research interests they intend to pursue at UALR.
- Letters of recommendation: Applicants should arrange to have three letters of recommendation submitted to UALR, on their behalf, by individuals familiar with their academic background and educational interests.
Note: All application materials must be submitted directly to the UALR Graduate School.
The Engineering Science and Systems Governance Committee will assign a track at the time of admission to each Ph.D. student after considering the studentâ€™s past academic credentials, as well as studentâ€™s request for a track.
Applicants who do not meet all the admission requirements may be recommended for conditional admission by the Engineering Science and Systems Governance Committee. To have their status changed to regular admission, the conditionally admitted students must fulfill the requirements specified by the Engineering Science and Systems Governance Committee and the UALR Graduate School requirements to have their status changed to regular admission.