New Faculty: Getting Started
In mid-August, prior to the beginning of classes, the Provost hosts a New Faculty Orientation. Other social events are also held during your first year at UALR. You will receive an email with information pertaining to all events. Please attend as many as possible to help facilitate your transition to UALR.
The following information is provided to help you answer some pressing questions.
How do I get paid?
Fill out all forms contained in your new employee packet and turn them in to the Human Resources office as soon as possible (University Services Building room B100, 501-569-3180). For all employee benefits, contact Human Resources.
How do I get ready for class?
The following is a list of sources to help you get ready for your class and resources to rely on if you need help.
- Book Orders (give completed form to department administrative assistant or order online.)
- Please complete a Request for Late Adoption of Textbook and/or Course Materials form after March 15th for fall/summer terms and October 15th for spring terms.
- Teaching Schedule & Room Assignments (see your Department Chair)
- Both Your Class Roster and Grade Submission are found online in the Banner Online System Services or (BOSS)
- Disability Resource Center - Donaghey Student Center (DSC) room 103, 501-569-3143
- Academic Integrity Issues (Dean of Students, DSC room 215, 501-569-3328)
- Grade Appeals (Christina Drale, Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, 501-569-3204)
- Syllabus - The following should be included, at a minimum, in your syllabus
- Your contact information and office hours
- Learning objectives for the course
- A week-by-week listing of topics to be covered
- Descriptions of all course assignments and tests in determining the course grade
- Relative weight of assignments and tests in determining the course grade
- The most current Disability Statement outlining UALR’s policy on accommodating student with disabilities
- Office of Records and Registration Services for Faculty
- Banner Student Information
- Forms Available
- Services Available
- Previous Class Schedules
- Privacy Issues/FERPA Law Clarification
- Registration Overrides/Overloads
- Room Reservation Procedure for Non-Academic Use
- Transfer Credit Information
How can I obtain an email account early?
Fill out the Computer Access Request Form and forward completed form to your department chair for his/her signature and processing.
Where do you go for…?
- Business Cards (Department Administrative Assistant)
- Department Governance Documents (Department Chair)
- Faculty Handbook-Currently Under Revision(Online)
- Faculty ID Card (DSC, Fitness & Aquatic Center, 501-569-8284)
- Faculty-Staff Directory (Department Administrative Assistant or use the A-Z Index)
- Key Authorization Card (See Department Administrative Assistant for form; Physical Plant for key, 501-569-3390)
- Library Card (same as Faculty ID Card)
- Parking Permit and Parking Regulations (Public Safety, 501-569-3408)
- Subscribe to FacFocus, a discussion list for campus.
- Health & Dental Coverage: You only have 31 days from the time of your employment to sign up for medical and dental coverage and your effective date of coverage will be the 1st of the month following your enrollment. Contact Human Resources (501-569-3180)
- Tuition Discount: Full-time UALR employees (100% appointment), their spouses and dependents are eligible for a tuition discount. (See the Academic webpage for additional information and forms.)
- Bookstore Discount: Faculty are eligible for a discount on certain items purchased in the UALR Bookstore. Just present your Faculty ID when checking out.
- Arkansas Employee Assistance Program (AEAP): AEAP provides counseling, information, and management consultation for employees who experience some form of personal distress. The program was implemented as a result of the commitment to the well-being of valued employees. The employee’s immediate family members are eligible to participate in AEAP. Call 501-686-2588 for an appointment.
How do I go to get help with educational technology?
- Scholarly Technology and Resources (STaR Office, Dickinson Hall room 105, call 501-569-8954 or email )
- STaR Blackboard Logon Tutorial (under construction)
- STaR Blackboard Logon (Also in the upper-right corner of every UALR webpage)
- Multimedia Support (501-569-3264)
- Desktop computer support or problems with network (Computing Services Help Desk, Student Union room B205, 501-569-3345)