Types of Aid
Funding for an education at UALR is available from federal, state, University and private resources. To receive federal, state and many University-sponsored sources of funding, one must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Other sources, local, private and institutional, are awarded on the basis of other criteria, particularly academic achievement.
There are several types of financial aid. Usually, a student is offered a combination of aid (known as a “package”) from these programs:
- SCHOLARSHIPS—”gift money” that is awarded on the basis of academic achievement (merit-based scholarships) or a combination of academic performance and financial need
- GRANTS—”gift money” from federal, state and University funds that are awarded based on financial need
- JOBS—money one can earn through Federal Work-Study on campus, in community service agencies, or off-campus jobs
- LOANS—money one can borrow from federal loan programs and outside lenders
- VA – benefits received by armed forces members, veterans, or dependents to assist with educational expenses
Please use the links provided on the left to learn more about each type of financial aid.