Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

UALR student filmmaker rolls ‘Dice’ on new film, future

Submitted by LaToya Sergent on September 23, 2010 – 12:58 amOne Comment

Courtesy of Rudy Aldor

Rudy Aldor—pay attention to this name because you may hear it being called at the Oscars one day. The 23-year-old film major is currently working on “Dice,” his new film about a city controlled by a dice game.

“Basically it’s about two brothers [Charles Lee and Michael Issac] who lose everything. They lose their grandmother and they move to a new city. In the new city, they meet different people. And when they encounter different people, they unleash this vicious dice game,” Aldor said. He stopped there, leaving us in suspense until the film’s premiere.

“You have to watch the movie,” he said with a laugh.

“This is my last short film for college,” Aldor said. He said he wants to take a break to finish school (he graduates next December) and start working on his own film company, Aldor Films.

“I’m doing all the main processes now, filling out the paperwork, trying to save money, trying to raise money,” Aldor explained.

Though he is still in school, Aldor has already received national recognition for his work. His first short film won an award in Los Angeles.“I thought it was all right for a beginner, but when I got the award I was third place. I was the only student at UALR in the Mass Comm department of film emphasis to get an award,” Aldor remembered.

“I was like ‘wow.’ I didn’t believe it when they told me. I thought they were joking around, but when I saw my name on the list, I was like ‘wow I really did win something.’ That really pushed me to make others.” To date, Aldor has written and produced seven short films, and directed nine short films.

Aldor said he did not always know that he wanted to be a filmmaker.

“My parents asked me after high school what I wanted to do, and honestly, I did not know,” Aldor said.
He said he got inspired watching movies with his father.

“(My father) loved movies like crazy. There was one season he just kept buying DVDs, so we watched movies every night– even school nights,” Aldor remembered. He said when he was 18, “The Matrix: Revolutions” really stood out.
“It was the first time I really stopped and watched special features. I wondered about the green screens and cameras coming down…When I saw that I said, ‘That’s what I want to do.’”

Aldor’s last film, “Ancient of Days,” premiered in November 2009. He said he has grown as a director since then.
“I understand better the role of a director. I knew his job, but there is a difference from knowing and really understanding it. The director’s job is like a coach. He pushes his actors and he leads them through this world that they have to create. I understand that I’m the audience’s eye, and I am also the characters’ conductor,” Aldor said.

“I also learned not to settle. Even if (the actor) couldn’t get their line right…Don’t just say the line. Bring some emotion with it.”

Though Aldor expects a lot more from his actors, he said he tries to push himself, too. This is especially true because he brings a unique element to his work—his faith.

“Having a Christian background helps me expand my stories. I intertwine the secular and the Christianity.”
When he was in New Orleans, Aldor said he attended a church where he watched many church-themed films.
“They had outstanding stories but the quality was bad,” Aldor said.

“I wanted the quality of the secular movie with the story of the Christian movie.”

However, Aldor said he does not want to be “put in a box.” That’s where he said the idea for “Dice” came in.
“I wanted to do some type of hood movie, but hood movies have been done so many times. You know, the baby mama drama,” Aldor said. “Before I put out in any film…I look for the originality in them.”

He said he wanted to know how Christians would react in certain situations.
“We always see the secular part, but we never see the Christian part. There are many Christians out there…How would they ask God to help them?”

Though most of his movies have a Christian message, Aldor said, “My goal is not to pound you over the head. My story is about the characters, but you can understand where they are coming from.”
“Take the movie, Devil. If there was a Christian in the elevator, what would he do in that situation? That’s what Aldor Films is about,” Aldor explained.

Aldor made sure to note he is not doing everything alone. Those who know him surely know his friend and fellow filmmaker, Patrick Anderson, a senior mass communication film student. David Weekley, mass communication professor, is Aldor’s co-producer.

In addition to helping find actors and making sure the production goes smoothly, Weekley has entrusted Aldor with his personal boom mic.  Aldor said he will be “very watchful” of the close to $2,000 equipment.
“Dice” will premiere Nov. 16 in the Donaghey Student Center at 6 p.m. There will be food and refreshments for $1.

One Comment »

• Dionne King says:

Awesome article!! It’s great to see the personal side of Aldor and how he got to this point in his life. I love the fact that incorporating Christianity in his films is important to him because there are so many Christians who are afraid to express that side of themselves. Keep up the good work!