News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Athlete Spotlight: Linus Gillgren, men’s golf

Submitted by Jamila Brown on October 14, 2010 – 11:15 amNo Comment

UALR is home to many international athletes, but few have created quite the record that Swedish-born Linus Gillgren has set in golf. Last school year alone, he had five top ten finishes in the conference, was an Academic All-American, played for the All-Conference Team and even won the Connecticut Cup. He also tied for third in the Sun Belt Conference Championships.    

Photo courtesy of Linus Gillgren

“Yeah, ‘09 was definitely my best year,” Gillgren said. This year isn’t looking too shabby either for the senior psychology major, who is currently ranked in the top 15 of the conference. With these impressive statistics, it’s no wonder that Gillgren plans to stay in America and go pro after graduation.    

“The weather is a lot better in America so the courses are in better shape and you can play all year round,” said Gillgren, comparing the sport in America to golf in Sweden. Naturally, there are things he misses about home. “The ocean, my house is 30 yards from it! And of course Swedish food and my family,” he said.      

When he isn’t home in Onsala, Sweden, Little Rock makes for a pleasant alternative. He loves the southern hospitality of Arkansas, and spends his free time hanging out with friends and working out. “I love music,” Gillgren said. What’s on his playlist? “Michael Buble, Slipknot, Miley Cyrus, and Metallica,” he laughs. “I know they are all so different, but I listen to everything.”  It’s clear the golfer is an eclectic embodiment of talent and dedication, and will surely be one to keep an eye on in upcoming years.

Comments are closed.