News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

Sculptors flood the River Market

Submitted by LaToya Sergent on October 20, 2010 – 10:45 pmNo Comment

A sculpture of a laughing woman by Shelley Tincher Buonaiuto. Photo by LaToya Sergent.

Little Rock’s River Market was bursting with inspiration when sculptors presented their works at Sculpture at the River Market Oct. 15-17.

Sculptors came from near and far to participate in the third annual event to raise money for upgrades in Riverfront Park and the River Market.

Diana Ashley of Maumelle said she gets her inspiration from Ethiopians in the Great Rift Valley. 

“They had a big flood and then something got into the soil and produced all these beautiful colors of dust and clay,” she said, pointing to a picture of an Ethiopian man with orange paint on his face in one of her books. 

“I think they are just beautiful people…they are really great artists,” she said. 

I am You by Denny Haskew from Loveland, Colo. Photo by LaToya Sergent

Her work can be seen at Boswell Mourot in The Heights and M2 Gallery in West Little Rock. 

No two sculptures at the event were alike. Every medium from wood to metal was used, and some had moving parts like Royal Miree’s The Fall of Byzantium.

Some patrons and visitors seemed apprehensive about getting too close to the art, but many sculptors encouraged them to play with the works.

"Rapture II" by Edward FlemingGalisteo, New Mexico. Photo by LaToya Sergent

“I like people to touch the art,” said William Kolok of Owensboro, Ky.

“I put too much texture in them not to have people touch them. The world is too smooth anyway.” 

Sculpture at the River Market was free on Oct. 16-17. There was a preview show for $100 on Oct. 15. 

It was a great way to enjoy art, get to know the artists or buy a new piece for your home.

The City of Little Rock and the National Sculptors’ Guild sponsored the event.

Warm Up by Jane DeDecker of Loveland, Colo. Photo by LaToya Sergent

From left to right: Morsa Warrior, Surma Warrior and Omo Valley Woman by Diana Ashley of Maumelle. Photo by LaToya Sergent

Comments are closed.