News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

UALR swimming and diving open with loss

Submitted by Tony Lenahan on October 20, 2010 – 10:08 pmNo Comment

The UALR swimming and diving team opened the season with a loss to Ouachita Baptist on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 15-16, at the Donaghey Center Natatorium. However, coach Amy Burgess is expecting the team to be better as the season moves forward. 

“I am expecting to see a lot of improvement over the season and a few school records to be broken,” Burgess said. “Outside of the water we have already seen the ladies becoming more of a team, which will help tremendously with performances in the water.” 

The Trojans lost to OBU 86.5-139.5, but did have some first-place finishes. On Friday, freshman Holly Myers finished first in the 200-yard backstroke with a time of 2:12.56. 

Saturday proved to be a more successful day for the team. The Trojans won the 200-yard medley relay, squeezing past OBU by .08 seconds with Paige Thoman, Audra Stalzer, Amber Kelly and Kara Raney teaming up for the victory. Raney also finished first in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 25.22. Thoman had a time of 55.01, taking first in the 100-yard freestyle. Myers showed up again Saturday with a first-place finish with a time of 1:02.05 in the 100-yard backstroke.

Coach’s Spotlight: Amy Burgess

Amy Burgess. Courtesy of www.ualrtrojans.com

Favorite Food: Peanut Butter & Cheese (not together)
Favorite TV Show: “House, but Glee is making it way closer to the top!”
Favorite Movie: “Forrest Gump”
Favorite Musician/Band: “No particular favorite, [I] listen to just about everything.”
Hobbies: “Biking, hiking, fishing, anything outside. [I] also enjoy cooking when I have time.”
What you do to relax: Read or watch TV.
Interesting fact: “[I] Competed in my first sprint triathlon in September and finished second in my age group. I am also married and have two Labradors.”

Comments are closed.