News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Headline, News

Nosotras Exhibit Opens in the Fine Arts Building

Submitted by Jamila Brown on October 29, 2010 – 12:10 pmOne Comment

The latest exhibit to adorn the walls of UALR Gallery I is generating a lot of interest among visitors. “Nosotras: Portraits of Latinas” opened on Thursday, Oct. 21. Virginia Dodier, curator of the travelling exhibit, describes it as a counteracting and supplemental observation to the stereotypes created by the American media. She will give a lecture on the collection at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 9, in the Fine Arts Building.

Tone Stockenström’s diptych photos, “Queen of Spring,” shows Otilia Torres’ joy of being crowened reina, which can be the event of a lifetime for a Latina because of the culture’s romance with aristocracy, as witnessed in events centered on queens and princesses. Photo by Jamila Brown.

The exhibit features over 50 photographs from eight diverse artists representing Latina women at all stages of life.  “It’s interesting to see the different perspectives that the artists chose,” said Justin Bryant, senior studio art major. “I like the documentary aspect that you get from photography.”

The works explore the themes of rites and celebration, the complexity of identity and the proverbial distance between America and the Latin world both physically and culturally. In the series “Glendalis” by Angela Cappetta, the artist photographed teenage Latinas living in New York City. “My favorite piece is ‘Melissa’s Sweet 16’,” Bryant said, gesturing towards a photo of a teenage couple in a wedding dress and tuxedo sitting awkwardly in the back of a limousine.

Tone Stockenström’s series “Just Because I Live in America” shows an array of younger women posing on their own, or candidly interacting with their environment. Stockenström also incorporated the use of diptych imagery in his work, putting two photographs of the same scene from a different angle side by side.

Karen Bucher’s series “Family Celebration” is also an attention-grabbing section of the exhibit. On the east wall of the gallery, Bucher’s works hang side by side showing four portraits of abuelas (grandparents) all in the same chair. The display promotes the idea of unity despite all of the different upbringings, experiences and stages of life witnessed in the other pieces throughout the gallery.

Along with the photographs, the curators have placed informational posters highlighting the themes explored within these photographs and relation of the works to the Latin American community. The exhibit will be on display until Tuesday, Nov. 30.

One Comment »

• mihu says:

The display promotes the idea of unity despite all of the different upbringings, experiences and stages of life witnessed in the other pieces throughout the gallery.