News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

‘Saw 3D’ is torture

Submitted by LaToya Sergent on November 5, 2010 – 8:19 amNo Comment

What do you get when you combine a mediocre plot, one-dimensional characters and a heap of disappointment? That’s right, “Saw 3D.” The legendary Jigsaw is back in the seventh installment, and hopefully, the final chapter in the Saw series.

Courtesy of wearemoviegeeks.com

After the original “Saw” in 2004, there was a lot of buzz surrounding the film, so of course there had to be a sequel. The problem is with each new chapter, the plot got more complicated and ridiculous. “Saw 3D” is no better.

The film starts off with three young lovers caught in a love triangle. Jigsaw puts them all on display in a store window as the clock winds down. Unfortunately, this scene has nothing to do with the movie. Even worse, the plot is unclear until about half way through the film.

Sean Patrick Flanery plays Bobby, one of Jigsaw’s survivors, who tours the country selling his book about how Jigsaw changed his life for the better.  But Bobby has a secret, which lands him in one of the infamous traps.

He has to go through a series of bloody obstacles said to teach him the error of his ways. There is more at stake than his life, however. Jigsaw has kidnapped Bobby’s wife, and unless he gets to her in one hour, she will die.

Flanery’s talents are wasted on this role. Yes, he was able to deliver the lines and be somewhat convincing. That is to be expected from his “Boondock Saints” days. But the character in this film is flat and doesn’t connect.

The subplot of the film is the battle over the Jigsaw legacy. It’s hard to describe what is unfolding here because it doesn’t’ make any real sense. The cat-and-mouse chase between Jigsaw’s widow, Jill (Betsy Russell) and Mark Hoffman, the forensics detective from “Saw VI,” is nothing more than a sad rendition of a slasher movie.

I’m not surprised the movie failed to have any real substance or character development, but as someone who loves gore, I looked forward to seeing blood, guts and vital organs spill onto my lap. I was disappointed, and the 3D aspect was wasted. I wanted to be on the edge of my seat. I wanted to be scared for my life. I wanted to be entertained. I should have picked a different movie.

There were a few pieces of intestines flying out into the crowd here and there, but it definitely wasn’t significant enough for double the price of a regular movie ticket. The only thing enhanced by 3D was the components of a terrible film.

If you are like me, part of the anticipation around this film is the promise of answering all your questions. It doesn’t. In fact, I have a new question: Why didn’t they stop after the first movie?

Comments are closed.