News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

A good ‘ol boy headed for stardom

Submitted by Matt Johnson on November 12, 2010 – 1:30 pmOne Comment

With his fourth album, “My Kinda Party,” Jason Aldean is poised to become a country music superstar.

The Macon, Ga. native isn’t shy about representing his home state. In the album opener “Tattoos on This Town,” he celebrates making memories in his hometown.

Jason Aldean (Photo courtesy of dixiestreams.com)

“It sure left its mark on us, we sure left our mark on it / We let the world know we were here, with everything we did / We laid a lot of memories down, like tattoos on this town,” he sings in the chorus.

The album’s title track is a raucous and redneck tale about having fun backwoods style and the chorus sums it up.

“Oh baby, you can find me, in the back of a jacked up tailgate / Sittin’ around watching all these pretty things, I get down in the Georgia clay / And I’ll find peace at the bottom of a real tall cold drink, chillin’ with some Skynrd and some old Hank / Let’s get this thing started, It’s my kinda party.”

The sound on the album veers from country to rock n’ roll and hits a few points in between. The blistering guitar solo at the end of the title track would be at home on any rock album.

“Don’t You Wanna Stay,” Aldean’s duet with Kelly Clarkson is pure pop, with a chorus that swells on a bed of strings.

“A place where there’s no lines, nothing like it is around here / someplace where it don’t feel like this world revolves around, whiskey or the Bible, shot glass or revival,”  Aldean sings on “Church Pew or Bar Stool.” Loving your hometown doesn’t mean you can stay there forever, especially when your dreams are taking you elsewhere. The chorus ends with him asking himself why he stays “in this church pew or bar stool kinda town.”

Aldean gives a shout out to the red states on “Fly Over States.” He sings about two first-class passengers flying from New York to Los Angeles and asking themselves why anyone would ever want to live in the middle of nowhere.

“Just a bunch of square cornfields and wheat farms, man it all looks the same / Miles and miles of back roads and highways, connecting little towns with funny names,” he sings. The first chorus recognizes the hard working families who populate these states.

“They’ve never drove through Indiana, met the man who plowed that earth / Planted that seed, busted his ass for you and me.”

The second chorus highlights the states’ natural beauty. “On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes / Like a watercolor painted sky, you’ll think heaven’s doors have opened,” he sings.

With “Party,” it’s clear Aldean is aiming to stake his claim, and he’s pulling out all the stops in trying to become a household name. There are no clunkers among the 15 songs on the album.

Aldean’s cover of Colt Ford’s “Dirt Road Anthem” is a perfect companion to the title track. Both songs are about partying, but “Anthem” takes a more relaxed approach and features something you won’t hear on many country albums –rapping. The verses walk a fine line between rap and spoken word, and before you throw your hands up in protest, it works. He sells it, and you believe it.

This album will be the one that takes Jason Aldean from simply country star, all the way to country music superstar. “If you can be my tan-legged Juliet, I’ll be your redneck Romeo,” he sings on the title track. With lines like that, how can he be stopped?

One Comment »