News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Featured, Sports

Lady Trojans enjoy blowout in season opener

Submitted by Tony Lenahan on November 20, 2010 – 3:29 pmNo Comment

Senior Chastity Reed (20) shoots a jump shot in the first half of the team's season opener at the Jack Stephens Center against Davidson. Reed scored 31 points and the Trojans won the game 76-51, in front of a crowd of over 2,600.

The Lady Trojans opened the basketball season with a 76-51, blowout victory over the Davidson Wildcats on Friday, Nov. 12, in front of 2,662 spectators at the Stephens Center. Naismith Preseason Watch List finalist Chastity Reed didn’t disappoint scoring 31 points on 13 of 19 shooting, but she wasn’t totally happy with her effort.

“That’s okay about the shooting, but I only got five rebounds and that’s not good for me at all,” Reed said. “I need to crash the boards a lot more.”

Although she wasn’t happy with her rebounding total, she still filled the box score with seven assists and seven steals to lead the Lady Trojans (1-0) to a 25-point victory.

Senior Asriel Rolfe continued her knack for taking care of the ball finishing with seven assists and no turnovers. Last year, she led the country in assist-to-turnover ratio at 2.98/1. She finished with 11 points and was content with the way the team played.

“We were excited, you know, it was the first game of the season,” Rolfe said. “I think we played pretty good. It showed some things we need to work on. We’ve got some big games coming up.”

Junior Britteni Williams (31) goes for a layup during the Trojans' season opening win at the Stephens Center on Friday, Nov. 12.

The Trojans led 44-24 at the half, and held Davidson (0-1) to 22 percent shooting in the first half and 30 percent for the game. UALR led the Sun Belt Conference in scoring defense last year allowing 52.6 points a game and coach Joe Foley said it was a pretty good opening game.

“I thought offensively, in the first half, we played really well,” Foley said. “I thought we moved the ball. Chas got into a good flow. Defensively, I thought we broke down a few times too many. The second half was kind of a reversal. I thought defensive-wise, we really picked up the intensity and our offense got sluggish, standing around.”

The fact that Reed was chosen as the  Preseason Sun Belt Player of the year and named to three national watch lists as player of the year must not have been enough for Davidson to double-team her.

“I thought they would double more, actually,” Reed said. “I go into every game thinking I’m going to get doubled and harassed on every play.”

“I was surprised a little bit,” Foley said. “It was just one of those games where some people don’t believe in double-teaming and they’re not going to do it regardless. They’re going to let her get hers and shut the other ones down.”

Reed definitely got hers and helped her teammates get theirs with seven assists. Juniors Marian Kursh and Megan Williams chipped in with eight points apiece while Kursh led the team in rebounds with seven.

Another freeshot throw by the lady trojans.

The team’s next home game will be Friday, November 19, against Louisiana Tech.

Jumpshot by lady trojan

Comments are closed.