News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Trojans must watch horror film after victory

Submitted by Tony Lenahan on January 14, 2011 – 4:33 pmNo Comment

The Lady Trojans won their seventh consecutive game and improved to 4-0 in the Sun Belt Conference after defeating the University of Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks 67-61 on Wednesday night at the Jack Stephens Center. The Trojans forced a season-high 32 turnovers in front of 1892 spectators, but coach Joe Foley was not happy with the effort.

Trojan women

Senior Chastity Reed (20) directs freshman Taylor Ford where to pass the ball in the Lady Trojans' 67-61 victory over Louisiana-Monroe on Wednesday at the Jack Stephens Center. Their seventh consecutive win puts the Trojans' SBC record at 4-0. Photo by Tony Lenahan.

“I think we were very lucky,” Foley said. “Our intensity, the way we played, both offensively and defensively, if we had been on the road, there’s no doubt we would have probably lost that game.”

The Trojans (10-5, 4-0 SBC) led by as many as 11 points in the first half, but the Warhawks received consecutive 3-pointers from Elizabeth Torres and Priscilla Mbiandja to end the half on a 6-0 run, making it a 33-29 Trojan lead. ULM is 10th in the conference in 3-point shooting percentage (.251), but finished 7-14 against UALR.

“I’m always a firm believer you’re going to play like you practice,” Foley said. “That’s exactly what I’ve been seeing. I’ve been on their case a little bit and now I’ve got a little bit to back it up. We’ll watch film tomorrow and they’ll get to see how bad they played.”

Trojan senior Chastity Reed led all scorers with 34 points, but she was the only player looking to score according to Foley.

“A lot of standing,” he said. “Back to the old just standing and not moving. People not wanting the ball, not wanting to come off screens – just wanting Chas to get it all done. Chas is not afraid to do it.”

Little Rock native Larrie Williams hit one of two free throws for ULM (8-9, 2-2 SBC) with 13:47 remaining in the second half to make the score 41-39. Williams led the Warhawks with 16 points and 15 rebounds.

Although the Warhawks were down by nine with 59 seconds left in the game, they got within 63-61 with 15 seconds remaining on an offensive rebound and put back by Kassie Courtney. Trojan senior Shanika Butler hit 9-10 free throws in the last minute to help preserve UALR’s victory. Butler finished with 17 points, 10 rebounds and five assists.

“I’m just glad I’m not in here complaining about losing, but I am complaining about the way we played,” Foley said about his team’s effort. “I hope this horror film tomorrow that we watch wakes them up a little bit. Hopefully they’ll see themselves and they’ll be ready to play next game.”

The Trojans play at home against the University of Louisiana – Lafayette on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. as part of a doubleheader. The UALR men play at 7 p.m.

Comments are closed.