News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

Cheap thrills in Rock City

Submitted by Melissa Ibbotson on January 28, 2011 – 7:11 pmOne Comment

If you’re like me, you can’t wait until the weather turns warm again. There just isn’t a feeling like being outside in the warm sun and the best part is that sunshine is free.

During the winter, though, you can’t just go outside. So you have to find things to do indoors that don’t cost much.

The Historic Arkansas Museum is a great place to escape the cold and learn about Arkansas at the same time.

The museum offers many permanent exhibits, including one called “We Walk in Two Worlds: The Caddo, Osage and Quapaw in Arkansas.” This exhibit features stories told in the natives’ own words, as well as artifacts from their history.

Another exhibit the museum has is the “Annual Eclectic Collector.” Currently in its ninth year, the exhibit this year features one man’s extensive train collection, as well as other related pieces. This exhibit will run until March 14.

Aside from its gallery exhibits, the museum has collected a variety of art and artifacts made by Arkansans during the last two centuries. Much of their collection can be viewed online at www.historicarkansas.org.

It also offers a living history reenactment, which gives visitors a chance to see how people lived in early Arkansas. The reenactments are offered twice daily, and are included in the price of the tour ($2.50 per person). All other exhibits and galleries are free to the public.

The museum is located in downtown Little Rock, across from the Main Library on Cumberland Avenue. Its hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and from 1 to 5 p.m. on Sundays.

One Comment »

• Have to say – THANK YOU so much for your blog!!
    Pretty rare to find a good site which isn’t just trying to scam you nowerdays :P

I’ve already saved it so I can keep visiting! :D