News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

UALR coach to lead Team USA

Submitted by Matt Johnson on January 28, 2011 – 6:43 pmNo Comment

UALR men’s golf coach Wyn Norwood will be making a mid-August trip to Shenzen, China. Except for a few days of sightseeing, he’ll be there in an official capacity. Norwood was recently named head coach of the United States team that will compete in the 2011 World University Games in China.

“I was stunned to say the least at first and very honored,” he said.

He was allowed to select one of his own players and chose sophomore Nicklaus Benton, the Arkansas State Golf Association Amateur player of the year in 2009.

As for who will round out the six-man team for the competition, “First and foremost, I went through the rankings,” he said of choosing the golfers.

What kind of questions did he ask the various head coaches? “Some I had familiarity with and several others, I knew their coaches but wanted to learn more about them as people,” he said.

It all came down to one question in the end. “If you were choosing a team, would you pick this player,” he said.

Norwood felt each player he selected should hear the news from his own head coach.

Golfers chosen so far include senior Nick Delio, from Cal-State Northridge; Vince India, senior, from University of Iowa; Jace Long, sophomore, from University of Wisconsin and Alex Carpenter, sophomore, from Abilene Christian University. The lone remaining spot on the team will be filled in the coming weeks.

Benton is the lone upperclassmen returning next year and Norwood believes the competition can only serve to help him. “I think it’ll be a great confidence builder for him,” he said.”

Norwood is happy to have the opportunity to represent his country, state and school. “It means something special to represent your country,” he said

The competition will take place August 12-23.

Comments are closed.