News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

Student by day, deejay by night

Submitted by Jamila Brown on March 6, 2011 – 3:48 pmNo Comment

When you hear the name Ronald Register called out in one of your classes you may not realize your classmate, a senior mathematics student by day, is one of Little Rock’s hottest deejays by night. A regular act at clubs Posh and Pleasurez, Register known as deejay Mike Blaze, sports an impressive musical resumé. He makes techno beats, hip-hop remixes, mixtapes and went on tour with Travis Porter of Gym Class Heroes last month.

With all his success, it is strange to think his deejaying career started out as a lie. “I was at music conference in Florida with some big time entertainer friends. We were walking around the conference and they all had these important roles while I was stuck doing nothing at all. So I just started telling everyone that I was a deejay,” Register said. “After that I realized I had a passion for music and refund check, and I just kind of ran with it. I bought a bunch of equipment, and figured out I was good at this and just kept doing it.”

And the name—How does one go from Ronald to Mike Blaze? “Well,” he laughed, “It was Mic Blaze at first, but people kept pronouncing it ‘Mick,’ so I changed it to Mike to avoid sounding like you could order me off the value menu.”

The Memphis native found himself in Little Rock after his son’s mother moved here. “I needed to be close,” he said, “It’s important for me to be a successful father.”

Coming to UALR has proven beneficial for Register in other ways as well. “I’ve gotten to meet a lot of great students and staff,” he said. “One of my best deejaying moments was at UALR just a few weeks ago. I was working the Alpha Greek Show and the crowd went wild every time I played something.”

Register hopes to have his own radio show and looks forward to working with rappers Yo Gotti and Project Pat on a few upcoming mixtapes, as well as with Ray the Rebel, Zaire and DC, three artists whose music Register considers unmatched.

Comments are closed.