News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » News

Pep rally brings out fans

Submitted by Kyle Troutman on March 18, 2011 – 11:45 amNo Comment

Only one thing this semester could transform the fitness center into a loud, chanting group of more than 150 UALR basketball fans – two Sun Belt Conference championships and subsequent bids to the NCAA Tournament.

Chancellor Joel Anderson called for the special pep rally March 11, to celebrate the women’s second berth in a row and the men’s first appearance since 1990, where they lost to eventual champion University of Nevada at Las Vegas.

“I was watching that championship game and with a minute and a half left, I was about as low to the floor as I could go,” Anderson said. “Then, with one second left, I went from the floor all the way up to the rafters.”

Anderson was referencing Solomon Bozeman’s game-winning 3-pointer with only a second and a half to go, a shot that has dubbed the hero Solomon ‘Big Shot’ Bozeman.

After an introduction of the team, Bozeman and fellow senior Alex Garcia-Mendoza thanked the fans for their support and led the team in their normal pre-game chant.

The women’s team took the stage next. Senior Shanika Butler made a point of kissing and showing off the Sun Belt Conference championship ring, her first as a Trojan. After the team was introduced, Butler said she would keep her speech short. She thanked all the fans for their support, and added, “I’ve only got one more thing to say – we’re goin’ dancin’, we’re goin’ dancin’,” as the whole team turned the stage into a dance floor.

The event wrapped up with Alumni Association Director Christian O’Neal, along with a few models, showing off the Sun Belt Champion T-shirts, which are now available in the bookstore.

The Trojans will play the University of North Carolina at Asheville in Dayton, Ohio at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 15.

Comments are closed.