News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » News

SGA incumbent wins presidency bid

Submitted by Kyle Troutman on April 3, 2011 – 5:27 pmNo Comment

Incumbent anger was rampant in the mid-term elections last November, but the feelings did not transfer to UALR’s elections as Simone Lewis, with running mate Maroof Zafar, garnered more than 60 percent of the student body’s vote in the presidential election.

With 525 students voting (4.16 percent of the total student body), Simone and Maroof received 332 votes, Ricky Harris and Solomon Phifer were runners-up with 107 votes, Zandra Carrol and Shannon Williams received 49 votes and Pro-tempore Michael Fiasco and running mate Anna Marie Rambo received 37 votes.

Although Simone won the election by more than 30 percent, she said she was worried the results wouldn’t go her way.

“I was nervous the whole entire time. I thought that because Ricky and Solomon had more advertisement, I don’t know I was just scared,” Lewis said. “We were actually expecting it to be a run off between me and Maroof and Ricky and Solomon, but I’m excited that it is what it is.”

Lewis said the Reach 12,000 campaign, the hunger banquet and the 24-hour study center initiative were what convinced students to vote for her.

“I didn’t lie and say that I was going to promise things that I couldn’t offer because I know how the campus works and I know that there are some things that we don’t have power on,” Lewis said, “so I focused on what we could do and the 24-hour study center was something that we were already working on.”

Lewis said she will choose executive board members in April.

Comments are closed.