News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

Kelly Rowland declares independence on new album

Submitted by Tony Howard on August 18, 2011 – 1:04 amNo Comment

What do you get when the second lead from Destiny’s Child takes a few years off, gets a new record deal and then turns 30?

You get Kelly Rowland’s hotly anticipated new album, “Here I Am.”  The album was preceded by the top-selling single “Motivation,” which held the number one spot for seven weeks according to Billboard.com.

“Here I Am” was released in stores and online July 26, 2011 and marks the third  solo release from Rowland. It’s also her first release from her new record company Universal Republic records. The album displays a new-found confidence from Rowland.

The standout tracks are, “I’m Dat Chick,” boasting lyrics like “I’m not cocky, I just love myself and he can’t buy a ring I can’t buy myself,” which is followed by the hotly handled “Work It Man.”

Another stand out track from this album is “Turn It Up,”  an urban, uptempo cut where Rowland threatens to tell the wife of a guy she thought she was dating exclusively all the things the guy filled her head with. “I could tell her, I could tell her that you said you loved me, I could tell her that you’re so unhappy, instead I’m sipping til’ I’m empty, so turn it up, buy another round.”

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Comments are closed.